PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I stop ubuntu asking me for the CD when downloading apps.?

Robert Buckmaster
June 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Hi.

I've just recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop, which doesn't have a CD player. On my attempting to download new apps., however, the system asks me to insert the ubuntu CD into the disk drive. How do I disable this prompt so that I may download the aps from the internet instead of from the CD? I should prefer to solve the problem using the visual interface, and without altering the source code.

Thanks!

Rob

Robert Buckmaster
June 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hi.

I've just recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop, which doesn't have a CD player. On my attempting to download new apps., however, the system asks me to insert the ubuntu CD into the disk drive. How do I disable this prompt so that I may download the aps from the internet instead of from the CD? I should prefer to solve the problem using the visual interface, and without altering the source code.

Thanks!

Rob

wilee-nilee
June 22nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Go to system-admin software sources and tick the from cd off in the first tab.

Robert Buckmaster
June 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I ticked the box in the first tab under 'Installable from the CD-ROM/DVD'. But on closing the window the system said the information about available software was out-of-date and had to be reloaded. I clicked 'Reload'. Then an error came up saying the repository could not be downloaded owing to nework problems. I am at a library. I wonder if the wifi here won't let me download the repository, or something else is the problem.

wilee-nilee
June 22nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
I ticked the box in the first tab under 'Installable from the CD-ROM/DVD'. But on closing the window the system said the information about available software was out-of-date and had to be reloaded. I clicked 'Reload'. Then an error came up saying the repository could not be downloaded owing to nework problems. I am at a library. I wonder if the wifi here won't let me download the repository, or something else is the problem.

Hmm hard to say can you post the list from the terminal.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
I'm just trying to make sure your download list is correct, this wont fix a network problem though, unless its got some problems.

You can also from that software sources page 1st tab try the other drop-down and select best server and see if it is a server problem.

slooksterpsv
June 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Click Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Type in:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

If the first line reads:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.04 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release amd64 (20100429)]/ lucid m

Put a # in front of deb on that line:

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.04 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release amd64 (20100429)]/ lucid m

Save exit, then run

sudo apt-get update

To refresh the packages/repositories.

plucky
June 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hi.

Thanks!

Rob

System > Administration > Software Sources and un-tick the CD as a source.

Good Luck

yetiman64
June 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Click Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Type in:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list ....

@slooksterpsv, could you consider altering "sudo" to "gksudo" as gedit is a graphical application, see link #4 in my sig, scroll down the page to the "Graphical Sudo" section for a full explanation. Cheers Yetiman64.

slooksterpsv
June 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
@slooksterpsv, could you consider altering "sudo" to "gksudo" as gedit is a graphical application, see link #4 in my sig, scroll down the page to the "Graphical Sudo" section for a full explanation. Cheers Yetiman64.

Thank you, I did not know about gksudo, I'll have to start using that now. SUDO with some graphical apps have worked for me, like gedit, but others haven't, so that's why.

Robert Buckmaster
June 23rd, 2010, 01:54 AM
Problem solved, I think. There was a box for 'cdrom...' under the tab Other Software, which I unchecked.I managed to download one application without the annoying prompt preventing me. I presume the others won't ask me for the CD.

yetiman64
June 23rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
Problem solved, I think. There was a box for 'cdrom...' under the tab Other Software, which I unchecked.I managed to download one application without the annoying prompt preventing me. I presume the others won't ask me for the CD.

That sounds good now. If all works well could you mark the thread solved (link #5 in my sig has instructions)

By the way, this is a duplicate thread with one in General Help so I'll send a message to the mods to merge them. Cheers, Yetiman64.

overdrank
June 23rd, 2010, 03:11 AM
Threads merged. :)

wizard_karan
July 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hey guys!

Many thanks, i just solved my problem.:grin:

i just commented the lines containg deb cd-rom in the beginning in the /etc/apt/sources.list file and it solved my problem.

Now Ubuntu never asks for the CD-ROM!!=D>

thanks again!

from
Karan Pratap Singh
Chandigarh, India

P.S. Do not trust the evil :twisted: GUIs, the configuration files are the true good beings O:) in the world of LINUX.