PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu wont install

jegannon
June 22nd, 2010, 04:21 AM
i am installing on an hp pavilion a712n with 2.0ghz processor and i believe 2 gb memory
i have downloaded the iso on a cd and a dvd both failed( and i did write it at under 4x speed) i go through the entire install process fine and the restart box comes up i hit that and then it resart a few command prompt things flash then ubuntu appears to me loading with the five dots the my cursor shows up on a black screen the my monitor says it is going to sleep then it starts all over
please help
oh and i wrote all the cd's and dvd on a MacBook

garvinrick4
June 22nd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Are you downloading the iso file to your desktop and the BURNING to a disk?

tacotime
June 22nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
Are you downloading the iso file to your desktop and the BURNING to a disk?

Hmm it sounds like he is, if he didn't burn it the installer wouldn't even load...

tacotime
June 22nd, 2010, 05:21 AM
i am installing on an hp pavilion a712n with 2.0ghz processor and i believe 2 gb memory
i have downloaded the iso on a cd and a dvd both failed( and i did write it at under 4x speed) i go through the entire install process fine and the restart box comes up i hit that and then it resart a few command prompt things flash then ubuntu appears to me loading with the five dots the my cursor shows up on a black screen the my monitor says it is going to sleep then it starts all over
please help
oh and i wrote all the cd's and dvd on a MacBook

try downloading an alternate installer, you can find it here,

http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04

you should be able to replace the screwed up parts of the file system with it, use the live cd to back up your data (if you have any)

garvinrick4
June 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hmm it sounds like he is, if he didn't burn it the installer wouldn't even load...
Guess I should read the whole post before answering.

jegannon
June 22nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
thank you guys for your help i am currently in the process of trying the alternate install

jegannon
June 23rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
i tried it and it wouldnt even recignize the disc