PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] AR9285 Will Detect Wireless-N Network But Will Not Connect

stuff_happens
June 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM
I have an AR9285 (Atheros) and it supports 802.11n. I setup my router so it was wireless-n only. Rebooted router and rebooted computer. Xubuntu loads up wireless fine, detects the network and tries to connect to it. It eventually times out trying to connect. If I put router back to wireless-g it connects fine. I have the following output:

stuff_happens@home:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Evil Chicken"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=51/70 Signal level=-59 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

stuff_happens@home:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for stuff_happens:
PCI (sysfs)
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=2.6.32-23-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.100 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:18 memory:fbef0000-fbefffff

Its using ath9k which has support for 802.11n, and it looks like it works since it can detect the network, but connecting is the problem. Btw it uses WPA2, which works fine under 802.11g. Any help greatly appreciated =o)

stuff_happens
June 22nd, 2010, 02:26 AM
Any ideas anyone on what could be the problem?

stuff_happens
June 26th, 2010, 01:07 AM
=o( help? please.

nickmcg
June 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM
If you're using karmic, you may need to use the backports.

Lucid, I'm not sure - I get a connection, but unrecognised speed which seems to fluctuate (iwconfig reports 'Bit Rate=0 kb/s').

Search the forums for 'atheros 928x' and take your pick - good luck. Please post if you find something that works.

Update:
Under Lucid, installed 'linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic', shows 150 Mb/s throughput, much more consistent signal strength.

Cheers

Nick

stuff_happens
June 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I had already install all the backports for Lucid and still it was detecting the network but not connecting. The network icon for network-manager was showing only one turning green so it wasnt even communicating with the router. In "G" its the opposite. I'll check out the other posts and see what I can try as well. Btw is there any specific settings I need to do for "N" on router so that it works? Not sure if the wireless drivers support everything for "N" yet.

nickmcg
June 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Some routers can be funny about mixed n/g networks.

Have you tried using wicd instead of network manager - some threads imply that network manager may be [part of] the problem.

Cheers

Nick

stuff_happens
June 29th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I setup router so its N only. I'll check out wicd and see how it goes. I tried solutions in the other threads regarding my card and still no success. Thanks for the replies. =o)