PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why won't Ubuntu 10.04 detect any wireless networks?

iflylikebatman
June 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
*This is my first time using Ubuntu & these forums. I may not know some terms you guys may use so please explain :) any help is appreciated!

I recently downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 into my Windows Vista laptop & I have downloaded the one that can run alongside my current system, so I'm running dual OS.
At the start up screen where I choose the OS, I choose Ubuntu & it loads fine. Everything looks perfect except that it won't connect to or detect any wireless connections. I have tried clicking the Network Manager icon & clicking New Connection. I typed in the SSID & security key for my wireless connection/router & after I hit create, a small window pops up saying "Wireless Disconnected: you are now working offline" or something like that. Nothing happens/changes. There is no internet connection on Ubuntu OS. But when I switch over to my Vista OS, the internet works perfectly (obviously.)

What can I do to fix this?! I really want to use Ubuntu OS. Thank you.:confused:

wilee-nilee
June 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I have had instances where the wireless doesn't show if you don't get the ethernet pluged in to run first. That is my only solution. You also say dual boot and startup choice, is it the windows startup or grub the Ubuntu one?