PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help me with getting Ubuntu on my iMac

c-a-b
June 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
My Hardware:
iMac G5 20", 2.0 GHz PPC G5 single processor, 2 GB DDR SDRAM, ATI Radeon 9600 AGP with 128 MB VRAM, 250 GB Maxtor Harddisk, PIONEER DVD-RW Superdrive.

I figured out partitioning the hard drive with 30 GB of ext3 space at the end of my disk. Then I started a Ubuntu 6.~ Live DVD and managed booting from it.

Booting is a major problem itself with several Ubuntu CDs I have, from Ubuntu 6.~ to 10.04 nightly built for PPC I have several CDs to try. Few of them are running at all and most of them only if the iMac had some time completely off power before. Sometimes it gets til "type what you want to do", sometimes it gets til Installer, sometimes it gets to Live, but mostly it hangs somewhere between.

When I got to that point I can install, wheter live or not, it hangs either on partitioning tool (Ubuntu 8+9+10 versions) or it might get until the partitioning tool (6.~) but then... it refuses the partition I want them to give and says something about "root system failed, please select with partitioning tool", even when I try the automatic mode with "use biggest free space" and so on. With manual partitioning I don't get it what to do.

I really would like to use Ubuntu, 10.04 for the best, additionally to MacOS X on this iMac but it's really tough work. :(

phildini
June 18th, 2010, 10:37 PM
For the partitioning, google a tool called iPartition. I believe they have a free version, and it really is the best tool out there. There might even be a partitioning tool on your MacOS install disks, depending on the version. Partition the disk using that disk, and then try the Ubuntu install.

As for the weird boot issues, I've never run iuto that issue, but it seems like there is some hardware issue that is preventing correct operation. I believe the Ubuntu LiveCD has boot-time options for turning off lots of extras. Try messing with those?

psy-man
June 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM
strange you are having problems with several cd's.
Did you check the md5 checksum of the images?
Sorry I can't advise how to do that on OSX, burnt my iso's on a ubuntu pc
Did you burn them at the slowest speed?

I did have trouble with live CDs on my old G3 as the video settings in the live system are not compatible with my monitor, it goes out of range, the system seemed to hang, but really it just took a long time to load. I left it running and went for a long walk, when I came back there was a live ubuntu desktop waiting for me.

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Thank you!

I managed partitioning with MacOS X Install DVD and then converted the 30 GB Disk into ext3 for Linux. But after that, sadly, I wasn't able to say Ubuntu to select that free disk and use it for repartitioning and whatever it likes.

OK I can try to burn another CD with slower speed...

psy-man
June 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
checking md5sums and that on macOSX at the bottom https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

The partitioner in ubuntu will probably not like the Mac formated ext3 partition and want to re format it.
Best use the Mac partioner to resize the MacOS partition and leave the rest of the disk as unused space then the ubuntu partitioner will see this as available for use. Either way make sure you check the integrity of your Ubuntu DVD/CD.

Also I might add that I have had a much more rewarding experience with install CDs rather than live CDs. Even though the gui is basic, as long as you read and understand the options and are prepared to have a couple of goes to get it right. The Debian Lenny PPC install CD1 works like a charm for me.

I had a great deal of trouble persuading my G3 to boot from a non Mac CD. Holding down the c key, resetting the pram (Command+Option+P+R) all to no effect. In my case the only thing that worked was removing OS9 by plugging in a different hard drive. Now I know that this is not an easy thing to do with an imac. So before continuing..
Ask yourself the following
Can you afford to mess up your existing Mac OS? If No stop now.
Have you backed up any vital data to external media ? If No, do it now!
Can you reinstall Mac OS if it gets messed up or if you don't like Ubuntu? If No, stop now

(I have Mac OSX running on a G3 imac, It looks very much like a unix system. More Refined and slick than Ubuntu. It runs smoothly on the machine dispite the relatively slow 333mHz cpu. The only thing it doesn't do well is play flash media, "slide show utube" now as far as I know (which isn't much) the flash media problem is an issue of architecture which running Ubuntu or Debian or any other linux OS is not going to solve.)

So if you have OSX why try and add Ubuntu?

OSX is fool proof but you pay a price.

Linux is powerful but can be daunting and dangerous. Ubuntu and Debian is Linux made easy, but neither are fool proof.

If it is a matter of being able to use the excellent and free software in the Ubuntu/Debian repository, and benefit from the support of the forum communities.
If you understand the consequences of your actions, Why not take the leap and dump Mac OS.

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Yay, I did it well!

Finally Ubuntu 10.04 PPC is on my PC iMac G5! The only problem was to find a CD that was good enough for my iMac to fiddle Data out of it on my iMac! All other CDs I've burned seem to be stinkers.

Now I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 effortlessly on my iMac. The only problems:

1) Wireless Network won't work. :(
2) Desktop effects aren't running better than "standard".

While having no WLAN on Ubuntu the driver update might be a hassle?

Ideas? :)

linuxopjemac
June 19th, 2010, 03:41 PM
what kind of wireless card do you have ?

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 04:09 PM
what kind of wireless card do you have ?

AirPort Extreme, Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0

linuxopjemac
June 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
can you do the following:

lspci -vnn | grep 14e4

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Where do I have to do that?

linuxopjemac
June 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
what do you think about Linux in a terminal?

goldshirt9
June 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
you type it in a
Terminal

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 04:42 PM
can you do the following:

lspci -vnn | grep 14e4

I can. lspci -vnn gives an overview on all hardware. grep 14e4 shows no reaction.
What of these things do you want to read?

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Broadcom Cooperation BCM4318 (AirForceOne 54g)
(...)
Kernel Driver in Use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel Modules: ssb
:confused:

linuxopjemac
June 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
try and paste the output here pls

lspci -vnn | grep Broadcom

linuxopjemac
June 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM
ok Broadcom 4318. You need the b43 driver. Do the following:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

This will extract the firmware out of your Broadcom card and it will put it in /lib/firmware.

If you see that it extracts the firmware, you have to reboot and it will work.

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
try and paste the output here pls

lspci -vnn | grep Broadcom

Cut and paste isn't that easy without internet connection. ;)

ok Broadcom 4318. You need the b43 driver. Do the following:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
This will extract the firmware out of your Broadcom card and it will put it in /lib/firmware.

If you see that it extracts the firmware, you have to reboot and it will work.

Thank you, I'll try! :)
--> Didn't work because no Internet connection, packages cannot be loaded. :(

Next issue is hibernation and stand-by. It don't awake after sleeping, whatever I try.
Also strange: Restartin now didn't ask for MacOS X or Linux, it booted Ubuntu directly?

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Goin on System Menu > Administration > Hardware Drivers shows that "Broadcom B43 Wireless Driver" is available for Activation, but it too has to be loaded from an Internet Adress.

Meanwhile there is no networking at all left. Clicking on the WLAN symbol right above, there is only "networking disabled".

linuxopjemac
June 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM
connect it with a cable for the time being.

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 07:35 PM
connect it with a cable for the time being.

Even with cable there's no connection. :(

c-a-b
June 19th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Another try. Booted from Ubuntu_PowerPC_lucid CD and selected option "install drivers". OK, ist started Live mode and installed drivers for LAN connection, WLAN failed.

Then, in Live mode, Internet over LAN worked, but WLAN not.

Restarting in Ubuntu without CD there were no changes. Didn't work either in LAN nor in WLAN. No drivers there.

In Ubuntu no inserted CD was to see.

:confused:

How can I get drivers from the CD when the CD isn't available? What can I do? :(

linuxopjemac
June 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM
when you boot into Ubuntu form the hard disk, try to do the following:

make sure you have the following in /etc/network/interfaces (I assume you get an IP address via your router:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

To check it do:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

if you are ready:
CTRL-X and "y" to save

Then:

sudo ifdown eth0
sudo ifup eth0

You should be connected by cable now...

c-a-b
June 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM
when you boot into Ubuntu form the hard disk, try to do the following:

make sure you have the following in /etc/network/interfaces (I assume you get an IP address via your router:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

The file contained following:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

To check it do:

if you are ready:
CTRL-X and "y" to save

Didn't save anything.

Then:

sudo ifdown eth0
sudo ifup eth0

You should be connected by cable now...

Sadly, I'm not. :( Console said:

ifdown: interface eth0 not configured.
Ignoring unknown interf eth0=eth0

linuxopjemac
June 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
You should add these lines I gave you to /etc/network/interfaces

It will in total look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

edit the file with nano:

add the lines and save:
CTRL-X and "y"

Then do the ifdown ifup commands

c-a-b
June 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Thank you... I did so but... there's still no network. :(

i even cannot save this console text to copy it. usb-stick is read-only for ubuntu. so i have to type it *argh*

chris@ubuntu:~$ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
sudo: password for chris:
chris@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifdown eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
chris@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifup eth0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.3
Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For Info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:11:24:db:91:d6
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:11:24:db:91:d6
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCFOFFER of 192.168.2.107 from 192.168.2.1
DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.2.107 on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK of 192.168.2.107 from 192.168.2.1
chown: failed to get attributes of `/etc/resolv.conf´ : No such file or directory
chmod: failed to get attributes of `/etc/resolv.conf´ : No such file or directory
bound to 192.168.2.107 -- renewal in 148213 seconds.
chris@ubuntu:~$

Hope thats somewhat useful for you.

linuxopjemac
June 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM
It looks like you have an IP address assigned (192.168.2.107). You don't have internet (yet) as you don't have a nameserver set. Normally this shouldgo automatically

Add the following lines to /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.2.1

with:

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

save with
CTRL-x and "y"

c-a-b
June 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Thank you I'll try soon after Lunch.

By the way, when I start from Live CD, there is ethernet connection and I can load the broadcom driver. Is there any chance to get that to the installed linux? Or a chance to reinstall with all new drivers and updates included?

Edit: Nameserver already existed in /etc/resolv.conf

c-a-b
June 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I remember that eht0 network was available yesterday after installing ubuntu. wlan was also there but with wrong driver so it dign't work. i think problems began after ubuntu set itself into a sleep mode that didn't work correctly, fans didn't stop and the imac was somewhat still active. i couldn't awake it anymore with mouse and keyboard so i had to press power.

since then, there are problems with ethernet and wlan. and cds don't show up on desktop.