PDA

View Full Version : Backend start and udev rule race condition

Naoyuki Tai
June 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I installed Lucid MythBuntu, and am having a problem with the backend starting too early.

I have a udev rule whch aliases a IVTV encoder (Happauge PVR-150) to "/dev/mpeg_encoder".

$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/62-videodev.rules
KERNEL=="video*",ATTR{name}=="ivtv* encoder MPG",KERNELS=="0000:03:06.0",SYMLINK+="mpeg_encoder"
KERNEL=="video*",ATTR{name}=="ivtv* encoder PCM",KERNELS=="0000:03:06.0",SYMLINK+="pcm_audio"

Apparently, the backend starts before the rule executes and sets up the alias. As a result, the backend sees the encoder missing.
Once I do "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart", the backend sees the /dev/mpeg_encoder and works.

I guess /etc/init.d/udev is running after /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend.
How can I make mythtv-backend to start after udev?

Thanks.

tgm4883
June 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
What is the full version of mythtv that you are using?

dpkg -l mythtv-backend

tgm4883
June 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM
This looks to be related to https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/556204

Which is fixed in auto-build
http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds

Naoyuki Tai
June 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
What is the full version of mythtv that you are using?

dpkg -l mythtv-backend
$ dpkg -l mythtv-backend
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-=================================-=================================-================================================== ================================
ii mythtv-backend 0.23.0+fixes24158-0ubuntu2 A personal video recorder application (server)

I have a theory. I need to test but the right answer is probably to change "/etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf".

$ cat mythtv-backend.conf
# MythTV Backend service

description "MythTV Backend"
author "Mario Limonciello <superm1@ubuntu.com>"

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started udev)
stop on starting shutdown

#expect fork
respawn

script
USER=mythtv
ARGS="--logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --user $USER"
test -f /etc/default/mythtv-backend && . /etc/default/mythtv-backend || true
/usr/bin/mythbackend $ARGS
end script
so that the mythtv-backend waits for the udev is done its job.

This also solves my IrDA devices aliasing too.

If you have multiple devices (capturing, IrDA, or ethernet interfaces for that matter by "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" ) and a daemon is relying on a stable name assigned by udevd, the daemons have to start after udev. (or udev-finish?).

I'm not sure I need to use udev or udev-finish. I wish I knew where I can find the documentation for this. But, I'm pretty sure that this should be considered as MythBuntu's bug of starting many services without waiting for udevd's to finish setting up the device aliases.

-- Tai

tgm4883
June 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM
$

I'm not sure I need to use udev or udev-finish. I wish I knew where I can find the documentation for this. But, I'm pretty sure that this should be considered as MythBuntu's bug of starting many services without waiting for udevd's to finish setting up the device aliases.

-- Tai

No, this isn't considered Mythbuntu's bug anymore strictly because I already fixed that. If you upgrade to auto-builds you would get the update.