PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop recommendations

swiftwood
June 16th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Well, looks like time for me to finally upgrade my machine.

My harddrive is going, I'm up on a LiveCD right now,
and I can't get one small enough for the BIOS to support
(that should give me a clue it's time to upgrage shouldn't it?)

I've been running dual boot WindowsXP/Linux

the only reason I need Windows is SolidWorks.
It's an older copy, so I tried installing it on a Vista machine,
and it seemed to run just fine.

Being able to run things like timing and tuning software would be nice too.

So, what do people recommend?

Not looking to spend a lot.

Brian

waynefoutz
June 16th, 2010, 04:09 AM
You sound like a guy that holds on to his machine a while like I do. I'm partial to the Dell Latitude line myself. We have 3 of them in my family, I have a ten year old one, my daughter has a 5 year old one, and the one I'm using now is a tad over a year and a half old. They are business-class machines, built sturdy and made to travel. The best thing is they are all made from standard, inexpensive and interchangeable parts. They are made that way so an IT guy at a company that owns a lot of them can swap parts easier and keep them up and running. So if they do break, parts can be found just about anywhere for very little money. On my old one for example, my LCD panel went out after it was about 5 years old. Found a replacement on Ebay and replaced it myself for about $75, including shipping. They are simple to work on, and Dell provides easy to follow manuals on how to break them down on their website. To sum it up, they are a solid workhorse. They are pretty reasonable too. anywhere from $500 to $1200, depending on how you outfit them. They normally come with Intel graphics systems in them, and normally run Ubuntu out of the box, with the exception of the wi-fi, but that normally involves little more than enabling the driver for it.