PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Card disabled after installation

tdubbs584
June 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I am new to Linux, but not to computers. I installed the new version of Ubuntu on my HP Pavillion dv4 Notebook PC using Wubi. Windows Vista was the factory installed OS and is still operational. When I boot Ubuntu, my wireless card (Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN) stays disabled. I have a button on my notebook but the button remains "orange" (disabled) instead of "blue" (enabled). I restarted back into Windows Vista and the wireless works fine. I followed the troubleshooting in Ubuntu utilizing the terminal command. The output said the card was disabled.

I found this excerpt from the Pocketguide, but since I am new to Linux, I don't know where to find this...

'If you’re faced with non‐working wireless, you might try
installing the linux‐backports‐modules‐intrepid package, if
using Ubuntu 8.10, or linux‐backports‐modules‐hardy, if using
Ubuntu 8.04 (reboot after installing). If that doesn’t fix it, you
might consider using Ndiswrapper. This is a hardware driver that
lets you use Windows wireless drivers under Linux."

Please help.

spotted zebra
June 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM
system>admin>hardware drivers

you must be connected via LAN. the program will load available drivers. i am not sure but assuming you are running 10.04 Lucid Lynx you will want the B43 driver if it is offered. if there is more than 1 option and you don't know which to chose just ask and we will help you out.

hope this helps and if it doesn't let us know.

Rhodriguez
June 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi there, I too am new to Ubuntu and I think I have a very similar problem. I have installed ubuntu 10.04 desktop i386 today on to my compaq presario AMD. The wireless network is on and enabled when I run XP, when I switch to ubuntu, it's disabled.
As suggested in the previous post, I trid to install the B43 wireless driver from the System->Administration->Hardware Drivers menu but midway through the installation i got the message 'Sorry installation of this driver failed, see var/log/jockey.log for details'. There didn't seem to be anything wrong in this file, all I could see was:
unbind/rebind on driver sys/module/b43/drivers/ssb:b43:device ss60:0

any suggestions you have would be great thanks