PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Motherboard stuck in case

e_james
June 15th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I am trying to replace my Gigabyte GA-7N400 motherboard (faulty) with a new Asrock board which I bought earlier today, but I am stuck at the first step. I have removed all the connections and all of the screws I can see but the old board doesn't want to come out. There seems to be something near the AGP socket or the external connector block which is holding it in place, but I can't see it. Does anyone know of a hidden screw or other fixing which I may be missing? Is there any special procedure required in removing / installing the metal panel for the external connector blocks? The last time I replaced a motherboard the cpu was a 386.

oldfred
June 15th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I would double check that there is not another screw near the external block on the board to the case.

The external block on the one's I have installed is just there and getting the snap in i/o shield retainer to stay in place is usually a bigger problem because nothing seems to really hold it.

e_james
June 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I have attached a picture of most of the board. Based on the way it moves when I apply a little force, the sticking point seems to be within the red boundary. The picture shows 6 screw holes. There are 3 others along the ram edge.

JustinR
June 15th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Not sure if this would be of much help but I know my motherboard requires a lot of adjusting/jimmying to get out because the external ports slide into the case, and there is little room to move the motherboard.

e_james
June 15th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Thank you for your suggestions but I have found the problem. I decided to abandon the project for now and put all the screws back in place for stowage purposes but I had 8 screws for 9 holes. Perhaps one was lost somewhere in the case. After several attempts to put a screw in the center hole at the top of the picture I realised it was already filled with a dark coloured post. It takes a little bit of force to lift the board off the post, but now that I know, it's not a problem. Perhaps I should invest in a better pair of glasses.