PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD/CD Drive failing?

ELD
June 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Is there a way that i can find out if my drive is on the blink?

It was suggested before when i posted an error message on a forum when i was loading up the fedora live cd it gave errors, and i loaded up the ubuntu 10.04 live cd and it gave me an error as well.

Just wandering if there is a sure way to see if it is my drive that is causing me grief.

quixote
June 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM
If you run System > Administration > Disk Utility, it gives you information on your various drive storage. I'm not sure whether it'll be any use for diagnosing a disk, but it might be an easy first thing to try.

ELD
June 14th, 2010, 09:43 PM
If you run System > Administration > Disk Utility, it gives you information on your various drive storage. I'm not sure whether it'll be any use for diagnosing a disk, but it might be an easy first thing to try.

That just gives you general info, i am looking to find a way to see if it is faulty or not.

eggdeng
June 14th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Did you try the Check Installation Media option? If that reports an error, the CDs are probably bad and you will need to download again. You could try them on another box to confirm. Try a W*nd*ws CD or similar on your box & see what happens.

ELD
June 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Did you try the Check Installation Media option? If that reports an error, the CDs are probably bad and you will need to download again. You could try them on another box to confirm. Try a W*nd*ws CD or similar on your box & see what happens.

If it was that easy i wouldn't need to post here, the media has been verified, i am looking for a way to test my Drive, not the media in the drive.

cchhrriiss121212
June 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
When I installed 10.04 on an old machine, the installer gave me an error something like this: "The install has to be stopped, it's due to either a failing hard disk or dvd drive". The hard drive was fine so I knew the dvd drive was the problem.

So I'm guessing as you did not get one of those, it may be some other problem. The only way to test it would be to replace the drive with a new one I think.

quixote
June 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
There's no simple way to test drives that's part of the OS that I know of. (Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Eg I vaguely remember something called the Palimpsest disk utility. Not sure.) There is, no doubt, specialized software that you could search for or we could search for, but you're probably more motivated. The reason we keep suggesting tangential methods is because sometimes they'll give you error messages that point you in the right direction. You may want to tell us what you've already tried and what results it gave you, so we know not to suggest that again.