PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Motherboard recommendation...

tada
June 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Can anyone recommend an ATX motherboard that will take my old disks and support Xubuntu 10.04 without painful installation?

I have 2 SATA and 2 PATA/EIDE discs. The old board had a P4 2.8GHz and 1Gb of RAM so I'm not expecting anything blisteringly fast.

That said, it would be nice if it came with a linux friendly grahics card built in (or as a suggested extra) as I have wasted a lot of my life recently on ATI and nvidia cards.

I'm no millionaire so I would like the board, CPU and memory to come in under 250 if possible.

I really just want to get my desktop back up and running for as little as possible and I want to do it with Xubuntu

Cheers

cbowman57
June 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Haven't tried the onboard graphics but I recently had to replace my MB and upgraded my whole system with an Asus P5KPL-AM-EPU, E5400 CPU, 2 GB DDR2 and a Nvidia EN9500GT Video card. Set me back $300 US, but runs both cores at 20% OC 3.25Ghz without a hitch.

Only drawback is that it only has one IDE port so you'd probably have to find a solution for your CD/DVD.

Xubuntu flies on it. Even impressive with vanilla Ubuntu including Meerkat.

tada
November 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
In the end, I bought one of those.
Works a treat.

On a personal note, I wish I'd bought one with more IDE risers so I could use my IDE discs and both my CD writers at the same time)