PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help With Display

rsouthard
June 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
So I was recently given an HP Pavilion n5415. Yeah its old, but it was free. The charger was bad and I had a spare one so I thought I would throw Ubuntu on it. Well I succeeded with the install (10.04), but I am having a problem with the display. The display is using only about 2/3rds of the monitor space. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I have it on max available resolution, but can not find a way to fill the screen.

mistersleep
June 18th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Yeah me too. I've got the same problem with my P3 Toshiba Satellite. I'm giving Lubuntu at try with some (really) low end hardware. It's like there's a 2 inch wide border around the edge of the screen on all 4 sides that the computer refuses to acknowledge.

Cheers,
Mike

overdrank
June 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hi and what is the model of the graphics card?
You can use the command in the terminal
lspci | grep VGA to identify the hardware.
You may also look under system, administration, hardware drivers to see if any drivers are available for the graphics.

mistersleep
June 21st, 2010, 04:00 AM
I've got a Trident Microsystems Cyberblade XPAil (Rev 82). Don't see any drivers.

overdrank
June 21st, 2010, 04:27 AM
Hi and I have no experience with that model but this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1509556&highlight=Trident+Microsystems+Cyberblade) may help. Good Luck :)

mistersleep
July 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm running Lxde the solution for xorg didn't help me so much. Hey rsouthard, have you made any progress? I may not see this thru to the end as Lubuntu may not fit my needs like I thought it would. Thanks though!

Cheers,
mistersleep