PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Macbook 5,1 - Failed to initialize the Nvidia kernel module

ace55
June 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hello all,

This problem has bothered me in both my previous install of 10.04 and my current one. Intermittently, booting into ubuntu results in ubuntu running in low-graphics mode, informing me that the Nvidia kernel module has failed to initialize.

Running nvidia-xconfig does not help. Removing and then reinstalling the nvidia driver in Hardware drivers does not help. I experience the issue with both the 173 and current drivers.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? I love ubuntu, but this is making me seriously consider exploring other distros. Perhaps this not a bad thing - after I return from this exploration, hopefully someone will have a solution for this problem. :)

Thanks in advance.

EchohcE
June 13th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I got this problem after I got fed up with bluetooth and uninstalled it completely. I didn't realize that my Airport relied on it, so I had to use an ethernet connection to reinstall gnome-bluetooth and its related packages. Now my bootup hangs on lib_crypt or lib_config(can't remember which), then it spasms low-graphics (large Ubuntu loading screen) and goes to the login screen.

It should be said that I use a dual-boot of Leopard and Lucid 64-bit. I followed 7-13 of Jamesixgun's post on manually partitioning for dev/sda3. His process, which I followed without having to reinstall OSX or use Bootcamp(I used Disk Utility in OSX to create the free space), is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297229&page=8