PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Strange USB Issue

Simest
June 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I have a problem with USB storage devices.

The device is recognized and usable for a few minutes. I can even manipulate small amounts of files. After that poof! Windows and Ubuntu don't see it anymore.

The USB drive is a Verbatim 250gb USB 2.0 drive. The drive works on other computers perfectly.

I have a usb keyboard and mouse connected as well, but connected legacy ps/2 one's to see if it is a power issue. This did not fix the problem. I have tried switching usb ports to no avail.

I believe I have mis-configured BIO's, but reseting my bios to load safe defaults was to no avail. I do not know what motherboard I have anymore. I do know it has a VIA K8T800 Chipset.

I am out of ideas aside of updating my bios (which leads back to not know my motherboard).

Help?

dino99
June 12th, 2010, 05:15 PM
that let me think that this usb stick dont receive enough power to run longer (check its specs)

Simest
June 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Similar issue's also exist with other usb flash storage devices despite size.

pastalavista
June 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I've heard there's a new issue in Lucid where USB drives won't mount when a floppy drive is enabled in the BIOS. Disable "boot from floppy drive" in BIOS and try again. If you have no floppy drive, still check to be sure the BIOS isn't looking for one anyway.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/fix-usb-devices-automount-not-working.html

Simest
June 13th, 2010, 04:50 AM
So in the morning I will be checking the usb power requirements for the device(s) and I will be turning off floppy drive options (not that they arent already off iirc).

Any other suggestions?

moster
June 13th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Get a cable that can connect to two USBs, that will solve power problem. I had before same issue. Here is a picture for example

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/wp-images/external-laptop-harddrive-1.jpg

Simest
June 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys (and gals).

I do indeed need one of those cabals that moster pointed out. [Thank you Verbatim Q&A].

For now I have created a temporary work around using software, that leaves me in windows till I can get one of those cabals (money is tight). I will mark this thread as solved.