PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard responsiveness problem

kidsil
June 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hello, I have Ubuntu Lucid Lynx installed,
Using Gnome 2.30.0

I'm using a Laptop, HP Pavilion dv9000

I've stumbled on responsiveness issues with my keyboard,
Sometimes it's really obvious - the keyboard doesn't respond fast enough to my typing.

Checked sticky keys and all that, it's all disabled of course.
Now, I also checked on Windows to see if the problem is Hardware or something, and there are no responsiveness issues there... I'm thinking it's Gnome (or the X).

Thanks.

scott1541
June 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I too am experiencing a similar problem, earlier my keyboard wasn't responding at all but everything else was working fine, I reboot and now everything is fine again.

I'm also running lucid with gnome 2.30.0 on a HP pavilion DV6 series laptop

kidsil
June 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Restarted .. keyboard is still slow.

jdorenbush
June 12th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and I have a Logitech S510 Cordless Keyboard. And I think I'm experiencing similar problems. If they don't seem similar to yours let me know and I can setup a new thread for my issue.

Problem
- When typing sometimes the keyboard will either simply not respond to the key I hit or it will have a very long delay.
- It isn't uncommon for multiple key strokes to occur from the result of me only pressing one key. Example: I hit the 'space bar', there is a delay in response, then when it responds it inserts like ten spaces instead of just one.

Attempted Solutions
- Switching the "Keyboard model" in "System > Preferences > Keyboard"
- Reconnecting the wireless signal
- Changing batteries
- Reboot

The above things all seem to play some sort of role in repairing the problem temporarily, sometimes for longer periods of time than others. From what I can tell the problem seems to occur very randomly.

kidsil
June 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I couldn't find the "Keyboad model" thing you were talking abut in my keyboard preferences...
The simple fact is - I type fast, and it seems that the system doesn't respond fast enoguh so some letters are getting missed.
I've said it again - this doesn't happen on windows, so it can't be a hardware problem (maybe hardware detection on the Ubuntu side, but not something wrong with my on-board laptop keyboard)

jdorenbush
June 14th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I couldn't find the "Keyboad model" thing you were talking abut in my keyboard preferences...

FYI
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2531/screenshotbd.png