PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting To Vista, without GRUB

bdufflebag
June 10th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Okay, so I installed Ubuntu on a portable harddrive through USB and could dualboot vista and Ubuntu with GRUB. But I found USB not be as fast as just popping the HDD from the case and putting it in my laptop, then i reinstalled Ubuntu on the HDD with it actually IN my laptop. Also, carrying the portable HDD was a hinder. So now i can't boot Vista because GRUB relies on Ubuntu. Wat do?

pastalavista
June 11th, 2010, 01:08 AM
At the screen before grub, you should get an option to load either the BIOS setup menu or a boot options menu or some such which actually boots from the Vista recovery partition. Select that and repair Vista. If you don't have a recovery partition, you'll need to boot from a Vista install CD to repair it.

wilee-nilee
June 11th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Okay, so I installed Ubuntu on a portable harddrive through USB and could dualboot vista and Ubuntu with GRUB. But I found USB not be as fast as just popping the HDD from the case and putting it in my laptop, then i reinstalled Ubuntu on the HDD with it actually IN my laptop. Also, carrying the portable HDD was a hinder. So now i can't boot Vista because GRUB relies on Ubuntu. Wat do?

This is not a good description. State what your final goal is. Any answers to this without asking more questions especially telling them to run the Vista recovery which will overwrite the whole Vista install removing everything is not good.