PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Latitude E4310 Dual Monitors freezing

kilativv
June 9th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi,
I have installed Lucid on E4310 and everything works fine(except for a little quirk with intel sound) Now I'm trying to connect dual FullHD Dell screen via docking station DVI ports. First of all, if I boot the laptop while plugged into the dock, it just freezes as outlined below. If I first boot it and then plug into the dock, the following happens: in the System->Preferences->Monitor I can see 3 panels available: laptop LCD and two Dell monitors(those are off). However, when I try to disable e4310's panel and enable two Dell monitors, all screens just go blank and system completely freezes up. No SSH/Cltr+alt+bkspc/Cltr+alt+F1 possible. Also that is not a kernel panic as no keyboard lights are blinking.

However everything works if I only enable the laptop's LCD and only one of the Dell monitors. I Have also tried disabling the laptop panel prior to enabling the second Dell monitor via lxrandr It allows me to completely disable the built-in panel(leaving just one DVI Dell running) but then as soon as I enable the second Dell, eveything just freezes the same way.

I'm attaching lshw output so the HW can be correctly identified. Oh, also, I'm running 64bit.

kilativv
June 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Update:
So i thought that maybe 64 bit OS is the cause of the issue. So I booted the 32bit liveCD and voila - everything works. However, when I installed it onto the HD(32 bit version) the problem is back. Very strange.

lxg
June 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I have the same issue. Dell E4310, when I plug in the VGA cable and open the "Display" tool, the machine freezes. :(

lxg
June 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I found out some more:

- When I'm logged in from another machine, I can still interact with the E4310 for a short while, until SSH also stops to work.

- Deactivating desktop effects via Appearance doesn't help.

- There are some related bugs in Launchpad, apparently concerning freezes on certain Intel chipsets and Dell machines when using gnome-display-properties or xrandr.

I also can confirm that managing dual screens works when the system is started from the Live CD. So what's the difference between Live CD and installed system?

kilativv
July 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I have all the exact symptoms. It freezes, but I'm still able to access it via SSH for a little bit.

Please comment on the bug that I opened:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/591929

Also I'm able to use just one external monitor if I enable it via lxrandr(or xrandr), so if you only have one, that might be useful for you.

I also tried running Fedora LiveCD and it seems to have the same issue.

kilativv
August 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Looks like installing latest drm-intel kernel fixes this issue.

alecz20
November 24th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Looks like installing latest drm-intel kernel fixes this issue.

How did you install these drivers?

I have the laptop and one external display.

If I want to enable both, so that the desktop extends to the other one, the system completely hangs with a black screen.

So again, how did you install the drivers?

Did you use the method at this link: http://www.khattam.info/howto-install-latest-intel-drm-kernel-to-avoid-crashes-on-boards-with-intel-hd-graphics-2010-08-14.html