PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help needed with wireless/wired network connection

Festy
June 9th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi all,
please feel my pain. I am new to Ubuntu. I have installed Ubuntu on a Compaq nx8420 laptop. The last few days, as I've tried to resolve this issue, are a blur but here is the main problem.

My primary goal is to stream audio from the PC (Vista) to the laptop (Ubuntu 9.10) wirelessly. I am unable to access shared files on the PC. It is connected to a router which is also wireless. When I try to connect to the PC from Ubuntu, I go to Place -> Network -> and then click on Windows Network when I receive the message "Unable to mount location: Failed to retrieve share list from server". My research has shown that this is a common problem but all the fixes I've tried haven't worked. I believe I have Samba installed and Smb4k which, from what I understand, are needed.

Here are some anomalies which may help diagnose my problem. I was able to get this working with a wired connection to the laptop yesterday (my primary goal is to get this running wireless). From all of the changes I've made, and programs installed, I can't recall exactly which fix it was that had it working. Nonetheless, it's not working today - wired or wireless.

However, on the PC I'm currently using a wireless USB for internet connection which the laptop is also gaining access from! So, there is a connection between the two somehow. Can anyone provide any help, please? It would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,
Festy

gordintoronto
June 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Have you made sure both computers are part of the same Workgroup?

I use the same username and password on two computers, and I have never had any problem accessing shared folders.

Festy
June 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
The usernames and passwords are different for both the PC and Ubuntu. I can try to change the Ubuntu to match that of the PC. Regarding whether they are connecting to the same Workgroup (the name of which hasn't been changed by me on either Vista or Ubuntu, so, I believe for both systems the default name is WORKGROUP), it did connect via a wired connection the other day without any changes made there. So, I'm pretty sure they are. I did look last night and the writing, in the same case ("WORKGROUP") was the same. So, should I re-write it to be sure? Or if looks to be the same it probably is?

I'm 99% sure it's not a problem with the wireless card in the laptop as it does find the router (named "Wireless@Home") wirelessly. It just won't share with Vista.

I'll change the username and passwords on the laptop when I get home tonight.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Festy

infinit1
June 10th, 2010, 03:52 AM
What if you have permission to read folders/files for "everyone" on Windows. Do the username and passwords between the two have to match?

Festy
June 10th, 2010, 05:17 AM
What if you have permission to read folders/files for "everyone" on Windows. Do the username and passwords between the two have to match?

I'm almost certain that the shared folders are shared to all. And, I know that when I did gain wired access (through the router), I was asked for a username and password to the PC. I entered my login details that I use for the PC (which is different to the laptop) and gained access that one time. This I'm unable to repeat.

I think think your query was to gordintoronto but thought I'd answer with my scenario, just in case it wasn't. I hope gordintoronto or someone else can reply to your question as I don't know the answer, sorry.

Regards,
Festy

Festy
June 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Have you made sure both computers are part of the same Workgroup?

I use the same username and password on two computers, and I have never had any problem accessing shared folders.

Tried this, but no luck unforunately. :-(