PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] after upgrade to kubuntu 10.04 , sound does not work

awsffa71
June 9th, 2010, 12:27 AM
On kubuntu 9.10 my sound was working fine. less than a week ago i upgraded to kubuntu 10.04. After the upgrade the sound did not work at all. i made sure that my volume was turned up and that my volume was not on mute. so far i have gotten no sound on 10.04

I upgraded through the update manager. Dont know where to start please help.

:confused:

Yellow Pasque
June 9th, 2010, 12:35 AM
First, let's make sure you're using the corrrect kernel and that the sound driver is loading. Post output of these commands:

aplay -l
uname -a

Algot Runeman
June 26th, 2010, 10:59 PM
same lack of sound on Asus netbook 1101 HAB

chaunce@roadshow-asus:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: ALC269 Analog [ALC269 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
chaunce@roadshow-asus:~$ uname -a
Linux roadshow-asus 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 22:02:19 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
chaunce@roadshow-asus:~$

Thanks for any suggestions
--Algot

lidex
June 27th, 2010, 04:33 AM
algot try this. Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Open this file for editing:

kdesudo kate /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Insert this line at the bottom:

options snd-hda-intel model=lifebook
Save. Close. Reboot. Check your levels in alsamixer.

alsamixer
Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.
Go to "System ->Preferences ->Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default and adjust your profile on the hardware tab.

Algot Runeman
June 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM
lidex, Thank you for your clear directions.

I set the speakers to 100% in alsamixer (wasn't sure if needed)

After restart of computer, sound is working.

Where should this information go from here, so that a Kubuntu upgrade will fix the problem generically? It would seem that the hardware recognition system during installation needs to be modified so that the proper options line is added to the configuration file. As noted before, sound was working before upgrade to 10.04 which suggests something slipped out of the process. Although, maybe it was an upgrade vs. install issue. I installed Kubuntu 9.10 initially and did the upgrade to 10.04.

Do you know if there is an appropriate bug report that can be referred to this thread for guidance toward a fix?

In any event, MY problems are fixed. Thanks again.
--Algot