PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] wine gnome/kde/openbox/fluxbox help

2ndconfused1
June 8th, 2010, 05:42 PM
i was trying to run a game in gnome through wine and it worked but was terribly slow in some parts, seeing my old-ish computer i have gnome being to good for this game (i love gnome anyway) and my computer being too old(game runs fine in XP) so i tried to run the game in kde but it failed, os i tried to run it in xfce but it failed, so i tried to run it in open box but it failed, so i tried to run it in fluxbox, and guess what it failed. so i was wondering if there was something i was doing wrong to run the game.
iv been using
code:
wine /home/MYUSERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Games/Halo\ Custom\ Edition/haloce.exe

i don't think it is wine because i downloaded it yesterday, i don't think it is linux because i downloaded it yesterday, and updated today, i don't think it is haloce.exe because i updated it yesterday. i think it is a problem that i installed haloce through wine in gnome and not any of the others. any help would be appreciated.

P.S. its not only haloce it is also any other game i try to run. (StarWars: battle grounds, age of empires, etc.)

2ndconfused1
June 8th, 2010, 08:53 PM
i would really appreciate some help here, also i have installed halo throught wine in open box, now i can load the game but get exection data as soon as it loads.

2ndconfused1
June 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
bump

cogadh
June 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
You should be aware that there will often be some performance loss when running Windows games via Wine and there really isn't much you can do about it.

What window environment you installed the game in doesn't actually matter to Wine; if the game ran in Gnome, it will (should) run in any other environment you choose to use. If it is not, then it might help us if you provided some more details, like hardware specs, Wine version and Wine's terminal output.