PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GPU temperature too high?

Kodpoet
June 7th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I'm running an Nvidia graphics card that according to conky soon after launching the computer becomes about 70 degrees. That's using firefox with a couple of tabs and gedit nothing power-consuming. :P

Should the temperature be this high?

Crafty Kisses
June 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM
That's fairly hot, my card use to run at about 62. When's the last time you dusted the fan of your card?

Kodpoet
June 8th, 2010, 05:29 AM
That's fairly hot, my card use to run at about 62. When's the last time you dusted the fan of your card?

Maybe a month ago or something when I switched motherboard. ;)

Thing is, I don't think the temperature is this hot when I use Windows... Maybe I'm just imagining it though. Doesn't seem to be an issue though since it doesn't climb over 75. :)

Bucky Ball
June 8th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Check settings. Can of compressed air and give ALL fans a good blow out (being careful not to bend anything that is).

Linuxforall
June 8th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Clean up your GPU fan and other vents and fans in your case. Also use latest driver via Ubuntu X PPA. At an ambient temperature of 38C outside my GPU with movies etc. goes up to 62C in a non airconditioned room, I do have my case fully open from both sides.

cascade9
June 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm running an Nvidia graphics card that according to conky soon after launching the computer becomes about 70 degrees. That's using firefox with a couple of tabs and gedit nothing power-consuming. :P

Should the temperature be this high?

Depends on how hot the ambient is, how much airflow through the case, what model card it is, and what sort of cooler its got.

70C isnt great, but its a long way from melting the card....IIRC the max temp for most nvidia cards is 115C.

Clean up your GPU fan and other vents and fans in your case. Also use latest driver via Ubuntu X PPA. At an ambient temperature of 38C outside my GPU with movies etc. goes up to 62C in a non airconditioned room, I do have my case fully open from both sides.

Depending on your setup, running without side panels can actually be hotter than with the sides on.

Kodpoet
June 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I haven't looked inside yet, but I booted into windows after letting the computer cool down for a while and the Everest displayed 61 degrees for 20 minutes while working some in photoshop. Then I reboot my computer and boot into ubuntu and conky displays 69 degrees. :(

I doubt that the temperature rose that quickly. :P