PDA

View Full Version : Critical Security Flaw in Flash

phillw
June 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi gang,

I'd suggest you have a read of http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa10-01.html and act accordingly.

I don't know who to ask to get the one in repos updated, so if any mod passes by please ensure that they're aware & get the repo's updated sooner, rather than later.

Regards,

Phill.

ronacc
June 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I thought critical security flaws were normal in flash .

phillw
June 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I thought critical security flaws were normal in flash .

Maybe, but it's the 1st time I've seen it affect Linux systems, hopefully it can only 'attack' at the user level (unless people are using root privalidges - another good reason not to do so ;-) )

Phill.

SteamInc
June 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Phill is right. We need to avoid any amount of hackers from getting into Ubuntu. This could be seen as a way into Ubuntu. It must be fixed fast, because once one of these hackers notices it they will attack.

ronacc
June 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I avoid flash when humanly possible , I use Opera for a browser and it is easy to enable and disable plugins .

SteamInc
June 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Then you will lose the ability to use Youtube or use some other things on the Internet.

jfernyhough
June 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hmm... is the 64-bit version affected?

Jordanwb
June 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Critical Security Flaw in Flash

Big shocker.

zekopeko
June 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Maybe, but it's the 1st time I've seen it affect Linux systems, hopefully it can only 'attack' at the user level (unless people are using root privalidges - another good reason not to do so ;-) )

Phill.

I never understood this way of thinking. As a user I think that my data in my home is far more important then a system that I can install from scratch in 20 minutes.

MacUntu
June 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I avoid flash when humanly possible

Way too often it isn't. Let's go punch some webdesigners. :P

gnomeuser
June 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I never understood this way of thinking. As a user I think that my data in my home is far more important then a system that I can install from scratch in 20 minutes.

Another problem is that users have access to the internet and programs can be run if compromised. E.g. one might easily become a member of a botnet that way.

Additionally like you say, sensitive data such as online banking data, documents, account data such as password files for everything.

Being root really only gives you expanded presistence but the goal of most spammers e.g. namely growing a botnet could easily do so without superuser access.

phillw
June 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know how long Adobe have known about it, but unlike some other security alerts I have received for other operating systems e.g. Microsoft saying it will be weeks, or Apple hanging back for months IMHO Adobe has been very quick to respond, as they say the compromises are all ready 'out in the wild' you may say that they had no choice but to come forward, but it has never stopped the others, at least they have a solution that is fairly painless for us linux users.

But, we can argue about all of that at leisure - just make sure that you pass the knowledge on.

As a real quick hack, that worked on my multi boot system running more than one browser system, I cheated.(The listing below does not have all my partitions loaded, it just got messy :-D )

Download the new version
extract it
Mount all partitions
cd /
locate libflashplayer.so
replace all instances with the new one
restart your browser(s)

I'm sure others can up with a more elegant solution, but it found all the ones that I expected in both Firefox and Chromium

phillw@piglet:~$ locate libflashplayer.so
/home/phillw/.mozilla/mozback/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/home/phillw/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/main/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/main/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
/main/usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
/usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Regards,

Phill.

Cavsfan
June 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
wrong thread I guess...
I fixed it on my system...

zika
June 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I don't know how long Adobe have known about it, but unlike some other security alerts I have received for other operating systems e.g. Microsoft saying it will be weeks, or Apple hanging back for months IMHO Adobe has been very quick to respond, as they say the compromises are all ready 'out in the wild' you may say that they had no choice but to come forward, but it has never stopped the others, at least they have a solution that is fairly painless for us linux users.

But, we can argue about all of that at leisure - just make sure that you pass the knowledge on.

As a real quick hack, that worked on my multi boot system running more than one browser system, I cheated.(The listing below does not have all my partitions loaded, it just got messy :-D )

Download the new version
extract it
Mount all partitions
cd /
locate libflashplayer.so
replace all instances with the new one
restart your browser(s)

I'm sure others can up with a more elegant solution, but it found all the ones that I expected in both Firefox and Chromium

phillw@piglet:~$ locate libflashplayer.so
/home/phillw/.mozilla/mozback/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/home/phillw/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/main/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/main/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
/main/usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
/usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Regards,

Phill.O boy! I have it only in one place: ~/.mozilla/plugins (symbolic link to a folder where I keep real libflashplayer.so and update it regularly...) It works, that way, with all FF, Chrome, Chromium, Opera, SwiftFox......

Atermoon
June 8th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Way too often it isn't. Let's go punch some webdesigners. :P

I'd love to :lolflag:

moviemaniac
June 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
klaus@klaus-imac:~/Desktop$ file libflashplayer.so
libflashplayer.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

So we 64bit users are left alone for who knows how long with this security hole? Screw you, Adobe!

dinamic1
June 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
i'd love to :lolflag:
no!

nerdopolis
June 9th, 2010, 02:36 AM

I agree with that. Your home directory is left virtually in the open compared to the rest of the system.

However I think you can use AppArmour to enable the firefox security profile on your account. I can kind of see why its not enabled by default, as Firefox not being able to access the documents might not sit well with users...

Chauncellor
June 9th, 2010, 09:26 AM
no!

What, you like those ostentatious sites that require a computer resembling 2001's HAL in order to run?

As much as I dislike Apple, and as bad as I feel for Adobe about the ipad/adobe situation, I think it's about time it gets killed off. Adobe has done a fantastically poor job at managing this standard-breaking dysfunctionality, and I'm glad that someone big gave them the middle finger.

Atermoon
June 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM
What, you like those ostentatious sites that require a computer resembling 2001's HAL in order to run?

As much as I dislike Apple, and as bad as I feel for Adobe about the ipad/adobe situation, I think it's about time it gets killed off. Adobe has done a fantastically poor job at managing this standard-breaking dysfunctionality, and I'm glad that someone big gave them the middle finger.

+1 except I don't even feel bad for Adobe. Flash has been a pain in my *** for years, it's time to move on.

phillw
June 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
hi,

the patch for 32 bit is in the ubuntu updates, alas no news from adobe on when they will patch the 64 bit version.

Regards,

Phill.