PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.4 Sound Issue - Please help!

Yehudah
June 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 10.4 LTS onto my Dell 1536 AMD laptop. I've been struggling for two weeks with several issues. I'm not a newbie to Ubuntu, but I've become very frustrated with this version and I'm close to needing to go back to W7 (yeck).

I have surfed these and other forums for almost two weeks now and have used workarounds and supposed fixes that don't seem to work. Here is one of my issues:

My sound settings will not save. When I go into Alsa Mixer and up the volumes and quit, they are saved after I reboot. I have run: alsactl store, and variants of it, to no avail. Every time I reboot, I have to go into Alsa Mixer to adjust the sound.

Can anyone assist me with this?

mrgs
June 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
If you want to skip 10.04, why don't you install 9.10 in stead? It is finally getting stable.

Yehudah
June 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Actually, I've tried other distributions, and for one reason or another, I don't care for any of them.

I used 9.04 for a while and liked it, but I'd like to stick with 10.4 because it's a pain to get everything set up and do it again... and again... and again. LOL

mrgs
June 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM
If you install 9.10 then you most likely will need to do it only once :-)

Here is something on the sound in 10.04, if you want to go the long way:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

lidex
June 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Try this. Open this file for editing:

gksudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
Scroll down to this line:

load-module module-device-restore
Comment it out so it looks like this:

#load-module module-device-restore
Save. Close. Logout/in.

No help? Try this.