PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't link to an ISP

davidpaterson
June 6th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Morning folks. (I am in New Zealand on a cold wet winter's day)
I guess previous answer to my question topic are here on the forum somewhere but just can't find it.
I have a fairly new IMac with a Intel dual core chip. And I now have loaded it with Ubuntu 10.04. I use a wireless broadband. Ie I get a signal from a mast some distance away to an antennae on my roof which is then linked to box on my desk which links to my computer via ethernet cable. It works just like standard broadband but it just doesn't come by a copper telephone wire. The link worked fine with MacOs and still works fine with a PC laptop. I have tried just about everything but I cant link my computer to my ISP.
Using terminal with various different commands all I get is a lot of information that is meaningless to me except there is a common thread which amounts to "not connected".
I was starting to think that was a missing driver issue but my ISP, who knows nothing of Ubuntu, poo pooed that.
Any suggesstions please
David

linuxopjemac
June 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM
cannot you hook it up to a cable and do :

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

and then go to Administration -> Hardware and find the appropriate driver...

Can you give us the output of:

lspci -vvnn | grep 14e4

sha.goyjo
June 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
If it is a driver issue, I'd suggest using the solution posed by linuxopjemac. Another thing to consider is that often times, even though a device "functions" in linux, it may not have quite the signal reception strength it did before. Downsides of trying to use VERY proprietary devices in a distinctly unproprietary enviroment.

davidpaterson
June 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Thank you for your input. Unfortunately when installing Ubuntu everything was erased on the HD and no drivers to be found. I reinstalled Mac OS and did a reinstall of Ubuntu side by side with MacOs. That works fine now. Why? don't know but this might help some with similar predicament.

David

sha.goyjo
June 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Could you clarify? Is the cellular modem now working fine when you boot into linux?