PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu installer is really slow

Speed_arg
June 5th, 2010, 03:53 AM
And it has been since 10.04 or 9.10 I think. Every time you hit "next button" it takes many secs to proceed, mainly with the particioner.

madverb
June 5th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Umm.. that's normal. Stop being pedantic.

VMC
June 5th, 2010, 04:01 AM
How many hard drives do you have attached? Internal, external, SATA, IDE, USB, etc?

I have only one internal SATA and using the attached USB HD and the partitioning step is fairly fast.

wojox
June 5th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I never saw it in 10.04 or 9.10. You sure your not having hardware problems?

keypox
June 5th, 2010, 05:48 AM
And it has been since 10.04 or 9.10 I think. Every time you hit "next button" it takes many secs to proceed, mainly with the particioner.

Yes it is.

I wouldnt believe anyone that denies. Load the installer as soon as you see the next button hit it. It does nothing for a time.

However the overall install time is very fast. The partitioner is a bit slow, but in line with the rest of the steps.

Does the same in 10.04, dont remember any earlier versions. NOt a big deal, since the overall install time is still very fast. The installer must be working, even know you can hit next the installer is not ready.

Starks
June 5th, 2010, 06:39 AM
The installer should have a prompt or hourglass for that wait until the partitioner starts.

taavikko
June 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I haven't noticed it to be "painfully slow"
Most noticable differnece lies whether installer is ran either on USB vs CD.

But for most parts my systems are been little newer rather than older, which may explain though.

I have on Acer Aspire one1 (minibook) with an awful ssd.
karmic installation took almost all day, but when installed lucid on to it, it almost flew. * +updates

Just got a new VAIO laptop (f11s1)
and upon starting the installation procedure, it took one smoke and it was done...
(why on earth Sony put an crappy HDD to this device, when SSD would have been far more superior?)

null_pointer_us
June 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
For me, it's USB vs. CD.

Live CD takes minutes to boot to anything, even the media check.

USB just flies.

Obviously there is a natural performance difference between a CD and good flash memory, but it feels like the gap widened considerably in 10.04.

The Next button is also very slow, especially considering most of the actual work is just queued until the end anyway.

crjackson
June 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yes it is.

I wouldnt believe anyone that denies. Load the installer as soon as you see the next button hit it. It does nothing for a time.

However the overall install time is very fast. The partitioner is a bit slow, but in line with the rest of the steps.

Does the same in 10.04, dont remember any earlier versions. NOt a big deal, since the overall install time is still very fast. The installer must be working, even know you can hit next the installer is not ready.

I'm sad to say I guess you wouldn't believe me then. There is no delay on any of my systems. I do install from a USB flashdrive though.

Speed_arg
June 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Ok I'll report it as a bug then. I used a USB drive and it was slow too.

zekopeko
June 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM
There is a redesign coming for the installer.

cariboo907
June 5th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Ok I'll report it as a bug then. I used a USB drive and it was slow too.

Compared to what? I used a usb device to install Maverick UNE, It only took about 15 - 20 minutes to do the install, whereas it took another hour to install the rest of the packages I need via wireless.

I've got a Compaq Mini 1100, with Atom N270 cpu, 1Gb ram and a 5400RPM 160Gb sata hdd.

garvinrick4
June 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I made two USB flash for little brother to try, I wanted him to learn grub2 so made them Ubuntu in 16 gig and fedora in 8 gig with /boot a / and grub in sda and sba. Had him put grub legacy in second so had to reinstall grub2, good to learn at get go. Both installs were fine and Ubuntu downloading updates and upgrades pretty fast but fedora 300 packages downloading and installing took
hours on a flash drive, 8 gig kingston. Considering Ubuntu just giving all your terminal installs in && sudo && sudo all at once and doing your GUI config at same time you are done in a Jiffy. Nothing is finer than Ubuntu's post installation procedure. They are making it so easy now a days.

ranch hand
June 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Pluse the fact that RPMs are just slower and Fedora has packagekit also which is not an improvement.