PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] is nouveau+compiz coming to 10.10 for powerpc?

roberto.tomas
June 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM
it's been on the intel side for at least a couple months:
http://dmolinap.blogspot.com/2010/04/compiz-nouveau-en-lucid-lynx-beta2.html
http://dmolinap.blogspot.com/2010/05/3d-con-nvidia-en-ubuntu-lucid-lynx_17.html

sha.goyjo
June 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM
You can compile it into the kernel yourself. It's really not that difficult. And the xorg packages are already in the repo's

roberto.tomas
June 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I already have xorg at 1.7 -- although I dont see any gallium package and that is required in the pc-version instructions.

just waiting for the kernel :)

sha.goyjo
June 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Why don't you compile it yourself?

roberto.tomas
June 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Why don't you compile it yourself?

why don't I compile what myself? the nouveau kernel module is already in the kernel -- now. gillium already is an ubuntu package, it just hasn't been picked up by the ubuntu powerpc team yet.

I just grabbed the xorg packages off the edge server for that part.

Now I just have to wait for a kernel (can't get support at all if you go off the farm on the kernel, so gotta wait on that)

sha.goyjo
June 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I guess what I was referring to was compiling Gallium. I think the reason we don't have it yet is because it is fairly tricky to do. We're missing a couple packages in PowerPC land. Not impossible if you pull some stuff from the debian and arch repo's, though.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumHowto

roberto.tomas
June 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I guess what I was referring to was compiling Gallium. I think the reason we don't have it yet is because it is fairly tricky to do. We're missing a couple packages in PowerPC land. Not impossible if you pull some stuff from the debian and arch repo's, though.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumHowto

so far as I know, we are only missing the kernel (2.6.34+), and xorg (1.7+) and support libs for those two. xoreg is up on powerpcs on the edge servers :) just need the kernel now for it to be possible.

sha.goyjo
June 6th, 2010, 08:18 PM
so far as I know, we are only missing the kernel (2.6.34+), and xorg (1.7+) and support libs for those two. xoreg is up on powerpcs on the edge servers :) just need the kernel now for it to be possible.

I guess I'm not quite understanding what you are saying.

Are you saying you need a 2.6.34+ kernel? Probably won't happen till maverick (or a good backport), but there are tons of tutorials on compiling kernels. I run 2.6.34-ck1, and my fiancee runs 2.6.34-pf1, on mactel and powerpc respectively. They work great, compiled from a patched vanilla with kernel-package. That would fix that problem.

If you have a different problem, I'm not sure what it is. Could you explain to me again?

roberto.tomas
June 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I guess I'm not quite understanding what you are saying.
If you have a different problem, I'm not sure what it is. Could you explain to me again

I don't have a problem. I had a question -- gossip would be just as good of a response as actual isntructions :) Thank you for volunteering -- if you're wanting to understand better go back and please reread the first post

sha.goyjo
June 6th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I very seriously do not understand what you are looking for. Please explain clearly. You have said several different things. I do not understand which one takes priority for you. If you don't get the message across to me, I can't do anything. :confused:

roberto.tomas
June 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I very seriously do not understand what you are looking for. Please explain clearly. You have said several different things. I do not understand which one takes priority for you. If you don't get the message across to me, I can't do anything. :confused:

:) aja this is getting almost comical -- I guess I really don't want you to do any more, thank you again. I just wanted to know when nouveau+compiz is coming to the powerpc, ie, when a powerpc user with an nvidia card can expect to use compiz.

the path to accomplish this has shown up in blog posts from about april, so sooner-or-later you'd expect it to come to powerpc -- it was happening early enough that , if things had happened quickly with the gallium package, we could have had it on 10.04's kernel -- but they don't keep their old packages (I'm told on the nouveau irc channel) so now there's a required wait for the 2.6.34 kernel.

edit: spelling errors

sha.goyjo
June 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
:) aja this is getting almost comical -- I guess I really don't want you to do any more, thank you again. I just wanted to know when nouveau+compiz is coming to the powerpc, ie, when a powerpc user with an nvidia card can expect to use compiz.

the path to accomplish this has shown up in blog posts from about april, so sooner-or-later you'd expect it to come to powerpc -- it was happening early enough that , if things had happened quickly with the gallium package, we could have had it on 10.04's kernel -- but they don't keep their old packages (I'm told on the nouveau irc channel) so now there's a required wait for the 2.6.34 kernel.

edit: spelling errors

Alright. It seems to me that what you are saying is that in order to for Gallium to work you need 2.6.34+, a fact to which I concur. So, I ask, why not compile your own 2.6.34 kernel on a PowerPC machine under lucid, and then use Gallium. That way you can have it without having to wait around for maverick.

If I've misunderstood something, it would be great if you could clarify.