PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How can I check if a DVD burner is still running properly?

surelock22
June 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM
My DVD/CD burner is rather old now (going on 5 years), and I've had some "quality" issues when I've been burning stuff for the past year.

CD's: When I play a burned CD in my car stereo, the songs have a "skipping" sound to them on the low-volume levels of the audio. I use K3b as my burning software, and it seems to be the best, but am I wrong? Is this a common problem?

DVD's: Specifically video DVD's. After converting the .avi to an image file using DeVeDe Creator, it gives me a file that has the .iso and I burn the disc using K3b. It's really hit or miss.

The question: is there a way to test the performance of my DVD burner to make sure it's working properly? Is there a way to calibrate the mechanism? I have a new External DVD/CD burner that supports "LiteScribe" (I could be mistaken on the name, but it's a technology that allows you to create a picture on the opposite side of the disc), but my INTERNAL is a 5 year old Lite-On.

Any help will be cool. I know this seems like a series of dumb questions and statements, and I know that they are. LOL :guitar:

Boondoklife
June 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
If you are using good quality media and burning at a slow speed and still making coaster then yea I would say it is the drive. You could try blowing some canned air at the lens or using a cleaning disc, but your results may vary.

surelock22
June 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Tonight, when I get home, I'm going to just use the external burner (the newer one), and see what results I get from that.

More or less, it's an issue of getting a couple specific .avi 's onto a couple disks to use. My daughter needs some entertainment in this hot Maryland summer, and the beach and the mini-waterpark only come once a week.

Boondoklife
June 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Tonight, when I get home, I'm going to just use the external burner (the newer one), and see what results I get from that.

More or less, it's an issue of getting a couple specific .avi 's onto a couple disks to use. My daughter needs some entertainment in this hot Maryland summer, and the beach and the mini-waterpark only come once a week.

Well if it is a matter of just a couple of files working, are you sure there are not errors in that file or that it may be too long. An example of this is DeVeDe burned a movie for me one time that I knew would be too long but it said it was fine. End result was a coaster that no drive could read.

surelock22
June 5th, 2010, 11:39 PM
It's definitely the burner...

Last night I went home, used DeVeDe to make 2 images for me,one containing one .avi file, and another to make a DVD that had 2 .avi files that could be played back to back using the menu sequence thingy. With the double file DVD, I was at 125% of my particular type of DVD, but DeVeDe has an "adjust percentage" button that WORKS MAGIC. While it took well over an hour to get both images created, with the external burner running at 8x, I sucessfully burned the DVD's to the delight of my family (and myself). THE ONLY DIFFERENCE - instead of going through the trouble of using another piece of software (i.e. K3b, see above) to burn the image, I right clicked on the .iso and selected burn image.

Just so you know, the new external burner is an HP with "LightScribe" ability, sold at Wally-Mart for $79. Totally worth it at my house with our 4 computers.

And on the bright side: a DVD burner may not burn DVD's anymore, but it can certainly read them. So I can do a "direct copy" of a CD I guess, if I was a big CD burner like I used to be.

:guitar: