PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WakeOnLan not working

cwig
June 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
I have been fight to get this WOL working for the pass 2 weeks or so and I have had little success. The

computer I am currently trying to get to wake from a powered off state is a Inspiron 600m with a ethernet

controller BCM4401-B0. It has WOL in the BIOS, and I have enabled it. I have tried on two different

routers, a ActionTec GT704-WG and a Verizon 7501 and neither worked.

Right now I just want to get it to work within the local network, but I have also tried from an external

location with port forwarding set up. So far I have used a packet sniffer on Inspiron 600m to confirm that

that the magic packets are getting to the computer. When I have the computer off, I haven't had any luck

yet getting it to turn on. I have been using wakeonlan and I have been sending the packets to

192.168.0.255 or 192.168.200.255, depending on the router I am using. Any help with this would be

greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Curtis

ilikeyourflannel
June 3rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
How are you sending the magic packet? I've done this before with the perl module Net::Wake. In case you're not familiar, (and assuming Perl is installed) to get the package just type "cpan" at the terminal and then "install Net::Wake". After the package is installed you can run it from the command line as a Perl one liner via the following command:

perl -MNet::Wake -e "Net::Wake::by_udp(undef,'00:00:00:00:00:00')"

Of course replacing the '00:00:00:00:00:00' with the MAC address you're trying to wake up. You might also try 255.255.255.255 instead of undef. Hope this helps!