PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Banshee crashes when I try to change the volume

HannibalWagner
June 3rd, 2010, 01:17 AM
Hey guys!
Here's my problem: Banshee have crashed 3 times 'til now when I try to change the volume inside the program. It happened only 3 times, but now I'm afraid to change the volume and change it directly with the speaker's controls.
One more question. When banshee crashes, all the system gets freezed. I tried with the console (CTRL+ALT+F1) but I don't know how to kill the banshee process..

Thanks for any help!

boombox1387
June 9th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Hey guys!
Here's my problem: Banshee have crashed 3 times 'til now when I try to change the volume inside the program. It happened only 3 times, but now I'm afraid to change the volume and change it directly with the speaker's controls.

Sorry to hear that Banshee is crashing for you. You might want to consider filing a bug (http://banshee-project.org/contribute/file-bugs/). To get useful information about the problem, you'll want to run Banshee from a terminal with the command:
banshee --debug
This will put extra debugging information in the terminal. Hopefully some warnings or errors will show up when Banshee crashes, which could be useful in figuring out what's wrong.

One more question. When banshee crashes, all the system gets freezed. I tried with the console (CTRL+ALT+F1) but I don't know how to kill the banshee process..

You can usually kill a process from the command line by typing 'killall process-name'. So in this case, you would type
killall banshee

'Top' is another neat command line option for analyzing your processes. Just type top, and the program should pop up, showing information about CPU and Memory usage. You can kill a process from within 'top' by typing 'k', then the process ID (and then I think you have to hit 'Enter' after that). Hope this helps!