PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video converter

RemmyNumber7
June 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
I have Ubuntu 8.04 and have some video's in avi format I want to put them to another video format and put them on disk. Here's my problem, I have been to Google and the web to find a video converter to install but but they don't add to my programs and interact through my GUI . So then I go to try to run them in Terminal and it tells me that it doesn't work.. please help

hansdown
June 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hi RemmyNumber7.

sudo apt-get install devede

Or look in synaptic package manager.

yamfox
June 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Go to the software center, and go to Edit>Software Sources in the menu bar. Go to "Other Software". Press add, and paste in this:

ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots
Then reload, and search for handbrake. Install it, and run it from sound and video. Click on source, find the file you want to convert, then click on one of the presets on the side, and click start.

JohnAStebbins
June 2nd, 2010, 10:44 PM
I have Ubuntu 8.04 and ...

Go to the software center, and go to Edit>Software Sources in the menu bar. Go to "Other Software". Press add, and paste in this:

ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots
Then reload, and search for handbrake. Install it, and run it from sound and video. Click on source, find the file you want to convert, then click on one of the presets on the side, and click start.

Unfortunately, the latest version of handbrake which is supplied by that PPA is not compatible with Ubuntu 8.0.4. What you want is to find a version of HandBrake 0.9.4. That may be difficult since that version was pulled from HandBrake's download page because it will not work with Ubuntu 10.04 and was causing a user support nightmare.

HandBrake 0.9.3 is available for 8.04 here
https://edge.launchpad.net/~handbrake-ubuntu/+archive/ppa

anewguy
June 2nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
My suggestion - OpenShot video converter - similar to a Microsoft product.

Dave ;)

fooman
June 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
another vote for devede here. :)

convert to an .iso file and burn with k3b works great for me.

if in the U.S., be sure to change the "default format" to NTSC.

manny43
June 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
mobilemediaconverter

zipperback
June 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
I would highly recommend ffmpeg for what you want to do.

It's not hard to use if you take a little time and read over the documentation for it, and it's very powerful.

Look in synaptic and you should be able to find it. It works with numerous audio and video file formats.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

jerenept
June 2nd, 2010, 11:30 PM
I would highly recommend ffmpeg for what you want to do.

It's not hard to use if you take a little time and read over the documentation for it, and it's very powerful.

Look in synaptic and you should be able to find it. It works with numerous audio and video file formats.

- zipperback

Or you could try WinFF...

RemmyNumber7
June 3rd, 2010, 03:22 AM
i have these video's in a folder on my desktop and none of these programs won't let me switch video format. It is in AVI i would like to switch it to mpeg or maybe wmf or another format that i could put it into a dvd player on top of the TV

jerenept
June 3rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
I think that Brasero should do that nicely.
Applications>Sound and Video>Brasero Disc Burner.

Select "Video Project"
Click the green "+" sign and browse to the files you would like to burn.

DeeVeeDee also comes highly recommended. (in the Software Center)

zipperback
June 3rd, 2010, 05:27 AM
i have these video's in a folder on my desktop and none of these programs won't let me switch video format. It is in AVI i would like to switch it to mpeg or maybe wmf or another format that i could put it into a dvd player on top of the TV

ffmpeg works just fine with avi files.

ffmpeg -i example.avi -target ntsc-dvd example.mpg

You might want to look at the man pages for ffmpeg as well.

man ffmpeg

- zipperback

RemmyNumber7
June 6th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I tried this one did not work

fooman
June 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM

as stated before....devede will do what you want. when it starts, look under "advanced options" and you can convert the file(s) to MPEG if you wish.

however, if what you want to do is create a dvd which you can play on your standalone dvd player...then just convert the file to an .iso (which is default) and then use a burning app. (k3b, brasero, etc) to burn the .iso to a dvd which will be playable on set top, standalone, dvd players. if you are in the U.S., then be sure to convert the file as NTSC.

hope that helps.