View Full Version : [ubuntu] power supply for router

June 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
A puppy (real dog) chewed the power cord which runs from the wall transformer to the router
Netgear cable/dsl router RP614 v 3
I phoned 1-888 netgear but the woman just said go to your local electronic store.
i sent an email to Netgear asking if I could buy a power supply, but have had no answer.
A friend has a power supply for a different brand (right voltage and amps) but the plug to the router is just slightly too big.
Is there some company that sells these parts?

June 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Have you, perchance, tried google?

Perhaps this "RP614 power supply" as a google search might help?

June 2nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Good question mate,

I work for a company that sells major hardware and software. The only difference between the power supplys you find off a shelf at Radioshack and the one that comes with your router - is the one on your router was tested over a period of days/weeks/months to make sure the power supply doesnt fail.

The lady recommends your local retailer mostly because of pricing. Chances are they no longer make that power supply, and if they did they would sell it at 100$+. At your local store you can buy the same supply for ~20$ or less.

What you are looking for (specifically) is:

ac dc universal power adapter

These contain multiple 'ends' for you to try to get it to plug in. And you can adjust the voltages.

Plus, when the router finally dies - you can use this for anything that needs a replacement power supply. If the manufacturer of your router says to buy one of these - listen to them :)

Keep the receipt though - all of these multi-units have different jacks. If it still doesnt have the right jack you want to be able to bring it back and get another.

Good luck mate,

- Lloyd

June 3rd, 2010, 02:43 AM
A puppy (real dog) chewed the power cord which runs from the wall transformer to the router
Netgear cable/dsl router RP614 v 3
...How badly damaged is the cord? Radio Shack carries connectors of various sizes - is there enough cord to reconnect? Unless it's chewed off at the transformer, it wouldn't seem too difficult to splice in another cord...

June 4th, 2010, 12:27 AM
many thanks to KermED and Iowan
I will follow your suggestions

June 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Search for PS-10, it looks like the one in the previous picture.
Just make sure the Voltage, Current Rating and the Polarity are
the same as your old supply. (The Center pin can be POSITIVE,

June 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM
As above, most PC/Electronics stores will carry a multi-adapter that should get you back up and running.