PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restoring Ubuntu 2.6.27-11

voxmagna
June 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hi, I was travelling abroad with my netbook when a couple of apps wouldn't save their files. Although it might seem obvious now, my 4.5 Gb partition was out of space.

So I find the synaptic package manager and try to remove what I thought were rarely used apps. No the Synaptic manager won't run because my HDD space only has 40Mbyte left!

So I put in my live CD which is on a memory stick and extend the HDD partition using the part tool. Everything seems ok on re-boot. Then after a second reboot there is a desktop background, mouse pointer and nothing else.

Then I try to do "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" But I am stuffed because I only had access to wifi networks via a usb wifi stick.

So I try the command lines to enable wlan0 up, enter the essid and wep key. That seemed ok but after sudo dhcpd wlano, the reply was always that the network was sleeping.

I gave up until I could get back home and connect via my Ethernet link.

I enter ctrl/alt/F1 and login ok

....then sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

There are a number of errors listed, I think the most important are:

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>

Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix> [:<exec_prefix]

Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-applets_2.24.1-Oubuntu1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I need some help as I would rather restore the existing installation than start all over. Sudo apt-get isn't working for me and neither are the boot options to fix broken files.

Is there a way, even using the live CD, of booting Ubuntu into a minimal 'Safe Mode' desktop from where I can do recovery maintenance?

Thanks

cariboo907
June 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
If you have no storage space left, clean up unused files instead of trying to re-install things. If you can boot in recovery mode, do that, at the menu choose drop to root prompt. Once at the prompt type:

sudo apt-get clean

the above command will remove archived packages that have been downloaded. Next type:

sudo apt-get autoremove

this command will remove any unneeded dependencies. This should free up a couple of hundred MB.