PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i need graphical boot loader

munna.cheyur
June 2nd, 2010, 05:04 AM
I'm using 10.04 as in previous versions the default boot loader is in only text mode... I wan't nice graphical grub boot loader... How to apply this. Where to download.

ankspo71
June 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
Hi,
I never done this before but I found a link here:
http://blogs.koolwal.net/2008/12/16/how-to-grub2-and-grub-pc-installing-splash-images/

I found it in here: (which has more ideas for you to try)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1182436
Hope this helps.

nhasian
June 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
from what i understand, grub2 gives us the ability to have fancier graphical boot menus.

take a look at http://grub.gibibit.com/

KermEd
June 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
A lot of this stuff is hands on with GRUB2.

You can specify just a background image and customize the text to use (and resolution) fairly easily. Its always a good idea to change your boot loader resolution to match your OS resolution whenever possible and if the hardware permits.

Changing Resolution

gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/00_headerThis should open your basic options for GRUB2. Find the following entry:

set gfxmode=640x480And change it to your desired graphic mode (ie: 1024x768). Remember, this value must match your image (below).

Image Background and Custom Colours

gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/05_debian_themeIn here browse downwards until you see:

for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/desktop-base}/moreblue-orbit-grub.{png,tga}
This is the folders it will look for the image. Place your image in /boot/grub in case the boot loader cannot access your user/share folder.

This is the name of your file - ie: for Picture12.jpg, you would put Picture here.

These are the allowed types, so if you want to use a jpg, add it to the list.

So - lets say I added Picture12.jpg to /boot/grub. The picture should be the size of the bootloader window (640x480 by default I believe). I would change this line to read:

for i in {/boot/grub,/usr/share/images/desktop-base}/Picture12.{png,tga,jpg}
So far so good? Okay, but now that we've added a picture, it will change the GRUB menu colours. We need to adjust this next - scroll down more. Make sure you keep that dot in the filename. If the image doesnt show on a reboot - it means you made a mistake in this line, the image is incompatible, or the file couldnt be found.

if background_image `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${bg}` ; then set color_normal=black/black set color_highlight=light-red/blackIn foreground / background format. In my case my screen is dark for the .JPG so I changed this to read:

if background_image `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${bg}` ; then set color_normal=white/black set color_highlight=light-red/black Easy enough, so now you have custom colours and a custom image.

Now we just need to tell it to update itself:

9.04/9.10:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg10.04:
sudo update-grub2And voila! Now, if you want to get more complex than that - your going to really need to dig into GRUB2 - I dont think there is a quick utility for it at the moment.

The more advanced changes you should be able to pick up here and there. Someone placed a link to a handy website - it has some example code you can preview - but I imagine (because there isn't an all-in-one utility at the moment) you might be better off doing it by hand.

- Lloyd

yetiman64
June 2nd, 2010, 08:03 AM
@ KermEd, to use sudo with any grapical process (in this case gedit), gksudo (or gksu) should be used. Please check the RootSudo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo) link and refer to the Graphical Sudo section down the page a bit. You may need to edit your commands given where necessary.

Note that normal terminal commands are fine with sudo though.

Cheers.

KermEd
June 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Yeti,

I've only been using it about a week and a half. I wondered what that difference was.

yetiman64
June 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks Yeti,

You're welcome. :)