PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Grub 2 UUID alternatives

GMHilltop
June 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
I have installed a copy of Windows XP on one of my partitions and then imaged it, and reinstalled it onto another partition of the same hard drive (with a minor tweak to the boot.ini file of course).

Then I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and had Grub 2 do the loading.

the problem that I am having is that when I set up the 40_custom file the 2 partitions that have the XP installations on them have the SAME UUID. (see the code below).

Now it doesn't sound like there is a simple way to change an NTFS's UUID .... Anyone???

SO . . . is there another way I can help Grub 2 Identify the partitions without having to use or reference the UUID numbers?

Here is the code that I have in my 40_custom file:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "Paul's OS" {
insmod ntfs
parttool (hd0,1) hidden-
parttool (hd0,5) hidden-
parttool (hd0,7) hidden-
parttool (hd0,2) hidden+
parttool (hd0,3) hidden+
parttool (hd0,6) hidden+
parttool (hd0,8) hidden+
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set d091001490ffff2a
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}

menuentry "Anna's OS" {
insmod ntfs
parttool (hd0,2) hidden-
parttool (hd0,6) hidden-
parttool (hd0,7) hidden-
parttool (hd0,1) hidden+
parttool (hd0,3) hidden+
parttool (hd0,5) hidden+
parttool (hd0,8) hidden+
set root='(hd0,2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set d091001490ffff2a
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}

menuentry 'Ubuntu, 10.04 LTS 32Bit' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
parttool (hd0,1) hidden-
parttool (hd0,2) hidden-
parttool (hd0,3) hidden-
parttool (hd0,5) hidden-
parttool (hd0,6) hidden-
parttool (hd0,7) hidden-
parttool (hd0,8) hidden-
set root='(hd0,3)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 709810c2-cc30-48ea-9b52-446207f52bfb
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=709810c2-cc30-48ea-9b52-446207f52bfb ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
}

menuentry "" {
insmod ext2
}

menuentry "Reboot" {
reboot
}
menuentry "" {
set root=
}
menuentry "<====Entries Below Are For System Maintenance & Testing=====>" {
set root=
}
menuentry "" {
set root=
}

menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "" {
set root=
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, 10.04 LTS (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
parttool (hd0,1) hidden-
parttool (hd0,2) hidden-
parttool (hd0,3) hidden-
parttool (hd0,5) hidden-
parttool (hd0,6) hidden-
parttool (hd0,7) hidden-
parttool (hd0,8) hidden-
set root='(hd0,3)'
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.32-21-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=709810c2-cc30-48ea-9b52-446207f52bfb ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
}

BoneKracker
June 2nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
GRUB (and /etc/fstab for that matter) are not authoritative sources for the UUID of a device. You find out what the UUID is, and then you enter it into your GRUB configuration and your fstab.

This will tell you the blkid of each partition, as well as the device name and any corresponding labels, in a nice tabular format:

blkid -o list

If you have two partitions with the same UUID, then you indeed have two copies of the same filesystem on both. If you don't want these just delete it (or "reformat" it). You could do that by firing up gparted, clicking on it, making sure it's unmounted, and deleting it (or put a new filesystem on it by using gparted to "format as" whatever).

Now, if you actually want to keep both ntfs filesystems (as a backup or because you've put new data on one that you need to keep), but you want it to have a new UUID, that's a little hairier, but doable:
http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/howto-modify-uuid-for-an-ntfs-partition.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1240146

Once you're done changing stuff, reboot into linux, double-check blkid (per above), and then make sure you change any entries that need to be changed in your fstab or grub configuration.

GMHilltop
June 3rd, 2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the great links BoneKracker.

I DO want to keep the Operating systems exactly the same. I can set it up ONCE with everything that these 2 people need, without having to LOAD it all twice.

The idea is to keep them completely independent of each other, and have it so that I can use the SINGLE image of the OS created to replace a potentially corrupted OS on either partition (with a simple boot.ini modification, of course)

Now, I think I understand what the "superblock" is that we are modifying, but to clarify, let me ask this question to see if the answer confirms my understanding . . . If I were to modify that superblocks UUID number, and then I were to reinstall Ubuntu and Grub 2, would Grub automatically identify that partitions new UUID?

Or,

If I were to then make an image of that partition with something like Acronis, and copied THAT image to yet a 3rd partition, if I were to run: sudo blkid would I see 2 partitions with the same "Modified" UUID?

Thanks again for the help.

BoneKracker
June 3rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the great links BoneKracker.

I DO want to keep the Operating systems exactly the same. I can set it up ONCE with everything that these 2 people need, without having to LOAD it all twice.

The idea is to keep them completely independent of each other, and have it so that I can use the SINGLE image of the OS created to replace a potentially corrupted OS on either partition (with a simple boot.ini modification, of course)
That's a bit extreme; linux is designed as a multi-user system. Also, if you are going to go to such lengths, shouldn't you have them on separate physical disk drives? Drive failure is a common cause of data loss or corruption.

Now, I think I understand what the "superblock" is that we are modifying, but to clarify, let me ask this question to see if the answer confirms my understanding . . . If I were to modify that superblocks UUID number, and then I were to reinstall Ubuntu and Grub 2, would Grub automatically identify that partitions new UUID?

Or,

If I were to then make an image of that partition with something like Acronis, and copied THAT image to yet a 3rd partition, if I were to run: sudo blkid would I see 2 partitions with the same "Modified" UUID?

Thanks again for the help.

Yes, and Yes.

GMHilltop
June 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
I agree that they should be on separate hard drives, but it's a laptop with only 1 hard drive. (I have them backing up important data to an external drive.)

By doing it this way one person can tinker as much with their OS as they want without affecting the others at all - which was the point of it all.

If changing the UUID is as simple as it appears to be (the links you've provided) This will save a whole lot of work having to do a double install - AND I just learned another cool thing about partitions and how they work.

Now is the time for me to tinker with the UUID's because there is nothing to lose (data) because the os is imaged and can be put back in a couple of minutes, and every thing to gain (knowledge).

Thanks again BoneKracker - I'll let you know here how it turns out when I get a chance to try it.

GMHilltop
June 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Does Ubuntu have a hex editor built in? (I am thinking - no)

If not, is there a way to download the program on one computer and then transfer it using a USB stick to the computer with Ubuntu that I am working on which doesn't have an internet connection?

Where would I get it from?

And how would I install it (commands to use etc)?

From what I can see, it looks like a person should be able to download the "packages" instead of using 'apt-get' . . . is that right?

(maybe a new thread - but now that I have typed it - there it is)

My apologies - I am still very new to Ubuntu, but I am slowly getting there - and Thanks for the help.

BoneKracker
June 4th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Does Ubuntu have a hex editor built in? (I am thinking - no)

If not, is there a way to download the program on one computer and then transfer it using a USB stick to the computer with Ubuntu that I am working on which doesn't have an internet connection?

Where would I get it from?

And how would I install it (commands to use etc)?

From what I can see, it looks like a person should be able to download the "packages" instead of using 'apt-get' . . . is that right?

(maybe a new thread - but now that I have typed it - there it is)

My apologies - I am still very new to Ubuntu, but I am slowly getting there - and Thanks for the help.
I don't know what Ubuntu's got on it because I don't use it.

There are many ways you could handle this. What immediately comes to mind for me would be to do this using SystemRescueCD, which is the CD I always keep on hand if I have to boot from outside the system to perform repairs or surgery such as this. They have a bootable CD version and a bootable USB version. It has at least two hex editors on it (hexedit and hexcurse).
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Or you could search the Web for a list of linux hex editors, then see if any of them are on the Ubuntu CD you already have.

oldfred
June 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM
If you look in synaptic under hex you get a bunch of hex editors. None seem to be installed automatically as I do not see any installed on my system.

BoneKracker
June 4th, 2010, 01:18 AM
If you look in synaptic under hex you get a bunch of hex editors. None seem to be installed automatically as I do not see any installed on my system.

True. If you have any bootable systems on the disk, you could use a hex editor you install on one of them. I was thinking there weren't any bootable systems on the disk.

GMHilltop
June 5th, 2010, 02:20 AM
.... What immediately comes to mind for me would be to do this using SystemRescueCD, which is the CD I always keep on hand if I have to boot from outside the system to perform repairs or surgery such as this. They have a bootable CD version and a bootable USB version. It has at least two hex editors on it (hexedit and hexcurse).
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

This could be a great Solution for me! Thanks for the heads up :) I'll give it a try and see if I can get it to work.

I could install an editor on one of the os's (and would actually put it on the Ubuntu installation) but I can't get it online. So unless there is a "package" that I can download and install, using a rescue disk like this should work just as well and would allow me to apply it where I need to.

I can't wait to try it.

I'll report back and let you know how I made out.

GMHilltop
October 29th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Ok, THIS I got to work for me - Hopefully it helps others as well.

First credit where credit is due - I got the help I was looking for here:

Changing / Modifying an NTFS partitions UUID using dd (http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/howto-modify-uuid-for-an-ntfs-partition.html#comment-3322)

Thank You very much to Simon Williams for taking the time to respond (See the comments to Adam's original post there). I hope everyone here finds this as useful.

Here is The Code used:

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/[ntfspartition] bs=8 count=1 seek=9

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!
For [ntfspartition] YOU MUST make sure you Identify the PROPER partition!!
ie: sda1 or sda2 or sdb1 or sdb2 or sdc1 or sdc2 etc etc etc.
DO NOT put sda in there or you will SCREW your MBR !
Also you will want to run: sudo blkid to make SURE you are modifying the proper partition.
DO NOT miss any part of the code above or you'll risk modifying more than just the UUID
also posted at the above link with regard to the above code:
Be warned that you can cause data loss ON ANY DISK CONNECTED TO YOUR MACHINE if you specify the wrong disk or partition, or if the partition you specify turns out to not be the one you were expecting. Disks of the "new" form /dev/sda (rather than the old /dev/hda, etc) have unpredictable ordering. Running this on a non-NTFS partition, or worse, the entire disk (e.g. /dev/sda rather than /dev/sda1) will mess things up very badly. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! END OF WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as an example of the the code to be used --- if I wanted to modify the UUID of the 1st partition of the first hard drive IN MY SYSTEM this is what I would type:

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda1 bs=8 count=1 seek=9

to do the 2nd partition of the first hard drive it would be:

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda2 bs=8 count=1 seek=9

(Again - best verify what the system sees IN YOUR SYSTEM by typing in Sudo blkid)

Simon Williams gives a very nice breakdown as to what each piece of the code does for those who are interested (Again - it is in the comments to the original post there).
I think it is the 11th comment that starts off with "dd explained"
Comment 14 by Simon Williams that starts off with "written by Simon Williams, October 13, 2010
Yey, now that I can login again... :S "
gives even further detail to this part of the code:
/dev/urandom

Again Thanks again to Simon Williams for the assistance. He was very professional and courteous!