PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Kino capture and audio corruption

sripplinger
June 1st, 2010, 11:17 PM
I've been ripping video from my mini dv camcorder to my hard drive using kino and firewire. It has actually been working well for the most part, but with one of my tapes (and only for half of it) I have gotten some audio corruption. There is excessive high-pitched screeching noise on top of the expected audio. I have tried capturing the same tape twice and have exactly the same problem.

While the tape plays back on the camcorder without issue I feel like I must assume there is some level of corruption of the tape that manifests after the video has been captured and is played back. If anyone has any thoughts to the contrary please share. But as things are now I am wondering if there is an audio filtering tool available that I could pass this through and possibly clean up by removing the higher frequencies.

sripplinger
June 2nd, 2010, 01:32 AM
I'll add that the *.dv files I'm having issues with are presenting this problem when played with vlc player. I do not have the audio problem when they are played in Kino. I've also tried playing them in dragon player (Kubuntu) and the audio is fine, though there is no video (probably need a codec?). I'll play with this a little and see if converting the file to a different format, or even rendering a video in Kino using the .dv files has the same result for me.