PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 won't load- black screen with lines

Fat_Guy
June 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu and am totally lost. I happened across a blog where someone was using Ubuntu on a Dell 1501, and since I had one in the closet I thought I'd give it a shot. However, it simply will not load. I get this screen upon booting.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p198/Echo_Four_Bravo/ubuntuscreen.jpg

I've tried with a disk I made, and with one I received in the mail with the same result.

Fat_Guy
June 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Since nobody replied to this I thought I'd refresh the thread for anyone that may have missed it the first time.

KirbySmith
June 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM
During the process of loading the CD, were you were able to obtain a text screen with some options or did the process go directly to the stripes? I had a similar problem with the 10.04 beta live CD on my different hardware, so I am using 9.10 because its live CD could get to a recognizable menu and I could choose the low screen resolution option to move forward. In my case, a proprietary nVidia driver that the CD wouldn't have in its baseline was required.

There are many threads here about blank screens and other boot-up video problems, and some suggestions that have been given may aid you if your desire to conquer your Dell is deemed worth the investigation time.

kirby

IAmAnarch
June 7th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I had a similar problem with Karmic Koala on an older Gateway. It kept giving me crap about an excessive temperature before I could even reach the login screen. I would be worried if my other live CD's (Damn Small, OpenSUSE, Puppy...) reproduced the same error, but they didn't. I just went to Kubuntu (not even thinking about searching for a Jaunty .iso file or using Xubuntu) and it worked fine, even though it was relatively slow (KDE and a 10 yo computer don't mix well). When Lucid was released, I gave Ubuntu another shot and had no problems (nor was I able to reproduce the temperature error). It must have just been a bug.

flycap93
September 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I have had the same problem and I have yet to fix it. I too would like some help. I have the same laptop as well with the same EXACT issue