PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can not login as super user in terminal

rudysuryanto
June 1st, 2010, 04:11 AM
I can not login as super user in terminal on ubuntu 10.04, in terminal I type su, then I type password, although I typed the correct password, but appear display, authentication failure. Where is the problem? Thank's.

lisati
June 1st, 2010, 04:12 AM
Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 04:38 AM
I can not login as super user in terminal on ubuntu 10.04, in terminal I type su, then I type password, although I typed the correct password, but appear display, authentication failure. Where is the problem? Thank's.
If you're too lazy to read lisati's link, just use
sudo -i instead of su

YWELLC
June 1st, 2010, 04:51 AM
sudo -i is safest/most accepted way.

Short of that, to enable access to root enter in terminal:

sudo passwd root

enter password
re-enter password.

Root is enabled, you can su if you please...

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 05:40 AM
sudo -i is safest/most accepted way.

Short of that, to enable access to root enter in terminal:

sudo passwd root

enter password
re-enter password.

Root is enabled, you can su if you please...
Please do not tell people to enable the root account for login. It is almost always wholly unnecessary, and it also renders useless a lot of tutorials asking users to boot into recovery mode (which can't be done if one has both set and forgotten one's root password).

Ozymandias_117
June 1st, 2010, 05:42 AM
Please do not tell people to enable the root account for login. It is almost always wholly unnecessary, and it also renders useless a lot of tutorials asking users to boot into recovery mode (which can't be done if one has both set and forgotten one's root password).

Then we would have to tell people how to boot to a LiveCD and modify certain files which we don't want to do. ;)

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 05:56 AM
Then we would have to tell people how to boot to a LiveCD and modify certain files which we don't want to do. ;)
Exactly.

I can't tell you how many times I've told someone to boot into recovery mode only to be told "I'm asked for a root password," which the user understandably might have forgotten, since Ubuntu almost never prompts you for a root password.

Better not to set it in the first place unless there is a good reason.

Ozymandias_117
June 1st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Exactly.

I can't tell you how many times I've told someone to boot into recovery mode only to be told "I'm asked for a root password," which the user understandably might have forgotten, since Ubuntu almost never prompts you for a root password.

Better not to set it in the first place unless there is a good reason.

I wish I understood better how they did that so I could set my Debian box up like that :D

peterpan7191
June 1st, 2010, 06:04 AM
even using
'sudo su' does the work..