PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How hot is too hot?

cloyd
June 1st, 2010, 03:19 AM
I have looked all over the forum on this, and seen a ton of posts and don't think anyone has the answer. We all think our processors are running too hot. We talk about how to cool them down, fan speeds, underclocking and I don't what else. But how hot is too hot? Granted, for different processors, the answer is different.

But, do we worry too much?

For instance, my machine has an AMD Athlon L110. My sensors readout says critical temp is 100. I am thinking I don't want to get close to 100 . . . how close is to close or how hot is too hot if sustained too long? (Googling the processor tells me the max operating temperature is 95.)

My machine in 9.10 starts in the high 30'a, and quickly goes to about 50.Will get to 55 easily, and audio runs it up to high 50's, maybe even 65. Video may run it up to 70. The air coming from the machine feels very hot. CPU is running 6-15% . . . with audio maybe up to 25%.

What is more, I've tried a live USB of 10.4, and by it time it is booted, it is at 50. Goes to 60 real fast w/o audio or video. Goes to 66 without much effort. I haven't run 9.10 long enough to see how high it will go.

But . . . am I just worrying too much? Are some others of us worrying too much? Should I not worry unless I'm in maybe range of . . . about 80 maybe? Is there a precentage of critical temperature that we can sustain for a considerable length of time without any damage?

Just seems like a lot of talk on the subject, and not many definite answers. Lots of us want cool processors. Do we need them?

King Icy
June 1st, 2010, 03:23 AM
I have looked all over the forum on this, and seen a ton of posts and don't think anyone has the answer. We all think our processors are running too hot. We talk about how to cool them down, fan speeds, underclocking and I don't what else. But how hot is too hot? Granted, for different processors, the answer is different.

But, do we worry too much?

For instance, my machine has an AMD Athlon L110. My sensors readout says critical temp is 100. I am thinking I don't want to get close to 100 . . . how close is to close or how hot is too hot if sustained too long? (Googling the processor tells me the max operating temperature is 95.)

My machine in 9.10 starts in the high 30'a, and quickly goes to about 50.Will get to 55 easily, and audio runs it up to high 50's, maybe even 65. Video may run it up to 70. The air coming from the machine feels very hot. CPU is running 6-15% . . . with audio maybe up to 25%.

What is more, I've tried a live USB of 10.4, and by it time it is booted, it is at 50. Goes to 60 real fast w/o audio or video. Goes to 66 without much effort. I haven't run 9.10 long enough to see how high it will go.

But . . . am I just worrying too much? Are some others of us worrying too much? Should I not worry unless I'm in maybe range of . . . about 80 maybe? Is there a precentage of critical temperature that we can sustain for a considerable length of time without any damage?

Just seems like a lot of talk on the subject, and not many definite answers. Lots of us want cool processors. Do we need them?
Is this Celsius or Farenheit?

JustinR
June 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM
I have an Intel Dual Core 2 Duo (T7250) @ 2.00GHZ. My CPU normally starts out at 50F but if I'm doing something heavy on it like HD videos then it regularly gets to 160F (I can't hold it on my lap at this time) without problem. The most I've ever gotten it up to was 201F, I was playing a simulator game called Rigs of Rods, it didn't damage my CPU.

So I don't know how hot my processor can get, your's appears to get quite hot too.

cloyd
June 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM
Sorry. Celsius .

JustinR . . 201 F . . . that is about 94 C. I used C because that the default readout on sensors. I have been converting these to F for my own use because that is what I am used to. 39 C is 102 F. 75 C would be 167.

louieb
June 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
Laptop CPU's tend to run hotter but their designed for that too. For example I have a IBM T30 with a mobile P4 - 2.2gHz CPU its critical temperature is 100 c. From the charts I've seen most CPU's max operating temperature range from 60 to 100 c.

My T30 tends to run on the warm side - even to the point of locking up. Kind of a pain but I solved my overheating by using a laptop cooling pad - one with a couple of fans built in. Since I got it have not seen the temperature get much over 70 C. Most of the time it stays in the 50 - 60 c range.

Shazzam6999
June 1st, 2010, 05:02 AM
My T30 tends to run on the warm side - even to the point of locking up. Kind of a pain but I solved my overheating by using a laptop cooling pad - one with a couple of fans built in. Since I got it have not seen the temperature get much over 70 C. Most of the time it stays in the 50 - 60 c range.

A cooling pad solved all of my laptop overheating issues too. Now it normally runs at around 55-65c depending on what I'm using it for. Laptops are built to withstand heat so while 70c may seem warm to you it's really not that unusual for a laptop. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it starts really overheating and performance is affected as a result.

cloyd
June 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the answers. I was thinking . . . I have been worrying too much. You are verifying that.