PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java help / question

RazzyDaz
June 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
I am looking for some help with Sun Java. I have search the forum and have tried every suggestion, but nothing seems to fix the problems. Let me first say, I think it's a java problem, or it may be Firefox. Here is the problem:

I'm trying to log into Logmein.com. I can't seem to get past secure.logmein.com. I am able to log in on Ubuntu 9.04 and 10.04 with no problems. I really do not want to upgrade Ubuntu, unless it's absolutely necessary.
Another problem is on Facebook. When I try to see who's online, it always gives me error and I have to refresh the page. Also, the online people are no longer at the bottom right corner. They are located on the side bar, off to the left.
Trying to view a certain website, but the error says: javascrip: popup('chckctrl_46.asp')

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

nhasian
June 1st, 2010, 02:03 AM
by default the java in 10.04 is not from sun, its the open source java which sometimes has problems on some sites. make sure your using sun's java instead.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

you can list the different javas on your computer with the command:

sudo update-java-alternatives -l

if necessary you can set it to sun's java with the command:

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

now run java -version to ensure that the correct version is being called.

RazzyDaz
June 1st, 2010, 02:14 AM
sudo update-java-alternatives -lif necessary you can set it to sun's java with the command:

After inputing this, the output was java-6-openjdk 1061 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

I'm assuming this is the current Java. I just don't understand why the previous and newer versions all work. I'm more worried about getting Logemein to work, than Facbook. I use Logmein for my business and can't seem to log in with this computer. It basically stops at secure.logmein.com Any ideas what may cause this?

frank002
June 1st, 2010, 02:37 AM
From your output, it seems you might have installed sun java without removing open djk. I think you have to remove one of them.

RazzyDaz
June 1st, 2010, 03:10 AM
How do I remove the older version? I am still trying to learn how to use Linux. I love Linux, other than this issues!

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2010, 04:38 AM
See General Troubleshooting Steps (http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/05/general-troubleshooting-steps.html) section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).