PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound on my computer is a little squeaky....

Shootist
June 1st, 2010, 01:05 AM
Hello to all, my problem in Ubuntu 9.10 is the fact that on my computer the sound is a little squeaky, not to mention a little accelerated. It doesn't matter what I do in Ubuntu 9.10, ranging anywhere from playing an audio file in Totem to just the startup sound, it always sounds like Alvin & The Chipmunks have invaded my computer. The only way I can get around this is by using alsaplayer with the speed turned down to 93% (however I can't use alsaplayer because Totem is the only media player that I know of that can be used with non-free plugins {like the Fluendo MP3 plugin for GStreamer}). The curious part in all this is, with Ubuntu 8.10 the sound is just fine; I don't know why, but it is.

I have put my PC specs in the attachment (for those who are interested), so that way I won't be making a very long post for no reason.

Hope for a response soon! :popcorn:

Signed, Shootist

P.S. Do tell me if for some strange reason the attachment isn't there!

lidex
June 1st, 2010, 07:04 AM
Post this output please:

cat /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Shootist
June 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
Okay, here's the output as requested:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
# USA.

## Configuration file for the PulseAudio daemon. See pulse-daemon.conf(5) for
## more information. Default values a commented out. Use either ; or # for
## commenting.

; daemonize = no
; fail = yes
; allow-module-loading = yes
; allow-exit = yes
; use-pid-file = yes
; system-instance = no
; enable-shm = yes
; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually 64 MiB
; lock-memory = no
; cpu-limit = no

; high-priority = yes
; nice-level = -11

; realtime-scheduling = yes
; realtime-priority = 5

; exit-idle-time = 20
; scache-idle-time = 20

; dl-search-path = (depends on architecture)

; load-default-script-file = yes
; default-script-file =

; log-target = auto
; log-level = notice
; log-meta = no
; log-time = no
; log-backtrace = 0

resample-method = speex-float-1
; enable-remixing = yes
; enable-lfe-remixing = no

flat-volumes = no

; rlimit-fsize = -1
; rlimit-data = -1
; rlimit-stack = -1
; rlimit-core = -1
; rlimit-as = -1
; rlimit-rss = -1
; rlimit-nproc = -1
; rlimit-nofile = 256
; rlimit-memlock = -1
; rlimit-locks = -1
; rlimit-sigpending = -1
; rlimit-msgqueue = -1
; rlimit-nice = 31
; rlimit-rtprio = 9
; rlimit-rttime = 1000000

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; default-sample-channels = 2
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right

default-fragments = 8
default-fragment-size-msec = 10

lidex
June 2nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hmm. Try this. Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound*
sudo rm /etc/asound.conf
Logout/in.

Shootist
June 3rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
Are you sure this is a good idea? I have already had to reinstall Ubuntu 9.10 who cares how many times because of update issues, but that's another story......

Concerning the code you gave me, I did a little looking around, and I could only find /.pulse; aside from that, the other two things marked for deletion don't exist.:confused:

Got any ideas?

By the way, thanks for your help with this!:)

Signed, Shootist

kelocena
June 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Have you tried upgrading to 10.04? 8D *shot*

Just wondering if there's a specific reason why you're still on 9.10. Not that you HAVE to upgrade. But it might solve the problem. Who knows? Sorry for being so useless.

Shootist
June 3rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
Well, to put it frankly kelocena, you're not being useless; to answer your question about why I haven't upgraded to 10.04, I did upgrade to 10.04, and I tried it for a while; unfortunately I then found out that it didn't solve my problems at all; it just added to them. The squeaky sound problem was still there, and in addition to that, Firefox couldn't be open for a long while before my computer froze and I had to shut it down & then turn it back on. So I went back to 9.10 and aside from the squeaky sound problem, everything's okay. I hope this answers your question. :)

Signed, Shootist

kelocena
June 3rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
Holy... moley. Such strange issues! I don't even know what to say. I hope you find the answer.

Shootist
June 5th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hello again, I tried getting rid of /.pulse, because as I had mentioned previously, that was the only thing that I found that I could delete (not because I didn't have the permissions to do it, but the other things that were mentioned to be deleted weren't there to begin with); I moved the folder out of where it was previously (in case anyone reading this doesn't know where this folder is, it's in your home folder). I restarted my PC and nothing was different. Got any other ideas?:)

Signed, Shootist

lidex
June 6th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Maybe changing the resample method will help.

gksudo gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
Change this line:

resample-method = speex-float-1
To look like this:

resample-method = src-sinc-best-quality
Logout/in

Shootist
June 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately changing the resample method didn't work. Can you think of any more things I could try? :)

By the way, thanks for your help with this!

Signed, Shootist

lidex
June 9th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Right-click the alsa-info script link in my sig and "save as" to your user folder. Then run this command in a terminal:

sudo bash utils_alsa-info.sh
Enter your user password when prompted. Provide a link for the output or post it here using code tags.

Shootist
June 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Here's the file as requested.

By the way, I zipped up the file because it wouldn't let me upload it otherwise. As a follow-up to my previous post, I found out two things: 1, your tip prior to your current one actually did do something; it just did the wrong something. What happened was is that it made my sound all choppy, I guess due to the fact it was trying to get as high of a quality as possible and, as you may know from the file I previously uploaded, the specs of my PC are not that impressive. The second thing was that I found out that with Ubuntu 9.10, I should only restart the PC and power it down. I say this because, I tried logging out and logging back in; the logging out was good, but when I got back in, I ended up making more quirks manifest themselves. The sound was muted when I logged on again, and that was not permanent, but now every time I start my PC, when the update manager pops up, the panels disappear and I think the icons do too, and then a few seconds later, everything shows up again. Let's just say I have had more than just a few problems with my system.

Thank you! :KS

Signed, Shootist

lidex
June 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM
That is a an old version of alsa. Try the alsa-upgrade link in my sig to get something more recent.