PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] eeePC 4G installation help

dlgoldie
June 1st, 2010, 12:04 AM
I just installed ubuntu 8.10+ on my Asus eeePC 4G, but the installation didn't complete. Everything installed great, but got hung up on the restart and never fully installed. It runs OK from the USB stick and I like it, but when I attempt to upgrade the software, I get a message that there isn't enough room on drive "/". The incomplete installation is sitting on that drive. Do I need to get that off of the hard drive? How do I do it? Or conversely, how do I complete the install to my hard drive?

Also, I can't get the movie player to work, and when it searches for the necessary plugin, I ge tthe message it can't find any. Any ideas about this?

Thanks so much for your help.

Autodave
June 1st, 2010, 12:21 AM
I just installed ubuntu 8.10+ on my Asus eeePC 4G, but the installation didn't complete. Everything installed great, but got hung up on the restart and never fully installed. It runs OK from the USB stick and I like it, but when I attempt to upgrade the software, I get a message that there isn't enough room on drive "/". The incomplete installation is sitting on that drive. Do I need to get that off of the hard drive? How do I do it? Or conversely, how do I complete the install to my hard drive?

Also, I can't get the movie player to work, and when it searches for the necessary plugin, I ge tthe message it can't find any. Any ideas about this?

Thanks so much for your help.

By 4G, you have one with only 4 gig HD space? If so, take a look at eeebuntu. This is Ubuntu 9.04 written specifically for the Asus netbook. There are 3 variations of it. I would suggest just installing the base version and then adding on programs that you want/need.

The advantage of eeebuntu is that it is written just for Asus EEE netbooks and as a result, everything should work right away because you don't have to go searching for drivers for your wi-fi, soud, etc. Also, the screen display is designed to work better on netbook size screens.

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM
Also, Ubuntu 8.10 isn't supported any more (as of last month). Use the latest version of Ubuntu (10.04), or the EeeBuntu based on it.

dlgoldie
June 1st, 2010, 12:42 AM
Also, Ubuntu 8.10 isn't supported any more (as of last month). Use the latest version of Ubuntu (10.04), or the EeeBuntu based on it.

I did install eeebuntu, but it has a couple bugs that are a problem for me. Neither the webcam nor the mic work, so I can't use Skype. That's why I moved to this version.

I misspoke before. I did install 10.04.

aysiu
June 1st, 2010, 12:45 AM
I did install eeebuntu, but it has a couple bugs that are a problem for me. Neither the webcam nor the mic work, so I can't use Skype. That's why I moved to this version.

I misspoke before. I did install 10.04.
That's weird.

This person claims it works flawlessly:
Ubuntu Netbook Edition on Asus Eee PC 4G (701) (http://www.vyvy.org/main/en/node/211)

I'd test it myself except that I already sold my old Eee PC 701.