PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resizing active ext4 partition on Lucid, is it safe?

occams_beard
May 31st, 2010, 11:20 PM
I am currently dual booting Lucid and Karmic. My plan was to do a fresh install of Lucid and gradually move my stuff over from Karmic. Now that that is done, I have no use for Karmic and want delete the partition and free up the drive space its using.

How safe is it to resize the active ext4 partition on Lucid?

I read some reports where data loss occurred when using Gparted on Jaunty to resize ext4. Is this still a problem? The very last thing I want to happen is data loss, or end up having to reinstall the OS, which would take me hours.

I am using Lucid 64 bit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I probably won't even risk it, but just was wondering how safe it is.

ron999
May 31st, 2010, 11:33 PM
No, don't risk it.
Use Gparted from the Ubuntu LiveCD.

nhasian
May 31st, 2010, 11:36 PM
you should not resize a mounted partition. boot off the liveCD first and while it is not mounted, then you can resize it. of course always backup before modifying your partitions.

sdennie
May 31st, 2010, 11:36 PM
I would be surprised if you can resize an ext4 partition while it's mounted but, even if you can, I would recommend using a live CD to do the resize. ext* partition resizes are fairly (extremely?) reliable using that method. Having said that, having a full backup of your data is highly encouraged before doing something like that.

wilee-nilee
May 31st, 2010, 11:40 PM
Ubuntu does not have a virtual partition device for the main OS, as suggested you have to do it from a live cd or any other partitioning cd that is linux friendly.

If your question is can you safely re-size the partition from a live cd you should have no problems, but have everything backed up just in case, anything can happen and none of us know your setup.

occams_beard
June 1st, 2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I think I will just format the karmic partition and use it for data storage. I don't want to risk obliterating my nice Lucid install :)

How would I go about cleaning out the karmic references in Grub after formatting my karmic partition? sudo update-grub ?

wilee-nilee
June 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I think I will just format the karmic partition and use it for data storage. I don't want to risk obliterating my nice Lucid install :)

How would I go about cleaning out the karmic references in Grub after formatting my karmic partition? sudo update-grub ?

If you just delete or reformat the Karmic partition I think the update-grub should remove Karmic from grub. If you have any problems or need more info you can post sudo fdisk -l and that will tell us what is actually there as far as partitions go. l=small case L