PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "All mute" sound on Lucid after attempting to install alsa-linux-all.deb

hmaseko
May 31st, 2010, 09:37 PM
My Compaq Presario F700 laptop has Conexant HD-Audio SmartAudio 221 (checking from my Windows partition). I had everything working just fine until yesterday when I attempted to manually install an alsa-linux package that I downloaded sometime ago. Although the .deb package failed to install, it seems it messed things up and now there's no sound. The speaker icon shows "All mute" and I have no clue how to fix this. How do I 'unmute' it? Please help. I badly need to get the sound working again as I want to get serious with Linux as soon as possible. Thanks for your assistance.

Harrison.

lidex
June 1st, 2010, 07:14 AM
Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install --reinstall alsa-utils alsa-oss alsa-base libasound2 libasound2-plugins linux-sound-base gstreamer0.10-alsa
Reboot.

Alsamixer
Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

alsamixer
Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.

Also check "System>Preferences>Sound"

siddhuc
June 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
hi,
after rebooting aand typing the code alsamixer in terminal, i am getting-cannot open mixer: No such file or directory..what could be the problem?

hmaseko
June 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Same thing with me, well, I should say same response from the terminal. The thing is, I tried to reinstall those packages mentioned by lidex manually because in my circumstances I do not have Internet access to connect my laptop and as such have to use dialup. Unfortunately, gnome-ppp says "cannot find modem" although I am able to dialup from the Windows partition. What should I do to successfully reinstall those packages manually?

lidex
June 5th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Try this. Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound*
sudo rm /etc/asound.conf
Logout/in.

BTW, do these PC's have nvidia chipsets?

hmaseko
June 5th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Yes, mine has an nvidia chipset.