PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with dual screen and projector

guiar69
May 31st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Hello

I have a Toshiba A135 Laptop, using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (online upgrade from 9.04 and 9.10). My graphic card is an ATI Inc RC410, Radeon Xpress 200m.

I cannot use a projector. As soon as I connect the projector I loose Compiz, the screen resolution changes, and then I get horizonal lines in the monitor and have to reboot.

Since I am far to be an expert, I am not even sure about what kind of graphic driver I am using. I have this software named "hardinfo" that states I am using MESA DRI R300 (RS400 5A62). Is this the graphic driver?

In addition, I know I had graphic problems in advance. For Instance, after upgrading to 10.04 the only kernel I can boot is 2-6-31-21. If I try to boot a newer kernel I also get these thin horizontal lines taking the whole screen (I only see the lines), and the only chance I have is restarting -pressing the power button-. ](*,)
I also have, from time to time, random freezes that I can only solve restarting (I believe this might also be a graphic problem).

In a way, this is the only problem I have with Ubuntu (besides some sound problems that are secondary compared with this). I need to make a presentation within a month using a projector and if I cannot solve this out I shall use windows, and I want to avoid that since I am really happy with Ubuntu Linux. If it helps as additional info I am still using ext3.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)