PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unwanted Shadow with New Monitor

yerdon
May 31st, 2010, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone,

My old monitor crapped out, so I went out and purchased a new monitor. Now I have this horrible shadow on the display that is giving me a headache. I have two systems hooked up to the same monitor, one of them running Windows 7 (which displays perfectly) and the other on Ubuntu 10.04 (the shadow problem.)

See the attached picture (taken with my camera) to see what I mean. Everything has a big shadow.

Here are the system specs (I'm not a Linux expert, so I may be missing something):

Monitor: ViewSonic VA2323wm
Resolution: 1920x1080 (should be correct, automatically went there)
Video Card: GeForce FX 5200
Nvidia Driver Version: 173.14.22

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu a while back and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have to install any other NVIDIA drivers, but now I wonder.

When I run the "System Test" and it tells me this:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1920x1080 50.0* 51.0
etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joseph

cotcot
May 31st, 2010, 07:27 PM
I have a comparable observation. The shadows by me are however smaller and are not always visible (enjoy the screenshot in annex). I do not think it is a ubuntu related thing. I had it also a couple of years ago when I used gentoo. I tried with and without nvidia drivers : same result.
My best guess is that it has something to do with the ambient temperature in the room : more shadow when it is colder in the room.
My monitor is Medion.
My graphics card is an NX GS.

yerdon
May 31st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the response. Your screenshot looks like what I'm seeing...

However - I know it is not something like room temperature because I have a KVM switch that I use to switch between two different computers.

The one running Windows 7 is always fine.

The one running Ubuntu always gives me the shadow.

Has anybody been able to fix a situation like this?

Thanks!

cotcot
May 31st, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have Windows XP on the same box and this is giving shadows as well, but somewhat less than in ubuntu.

yerdon
May 31st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Anybody have an idea what it could be?

My old monitor was working fine until it crapped out - no shadows at all.

Thanks,

Joseph

lesny
May 31st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Maybe wrong refresh rate? It's connected by DVI or D-SUB?