PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] lirc: no /dev/lirc0 - actual device number changes on restart

otoh
May 31st, 2010, 12:32 AM
Firstly, installed mythbuntu and for the most part, it just works. AWESOME!

My only issue that I can't figure out thus far is the remote. I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-T USB Stick, and generally the setup for the Nova-T 500 is good. No problem with lircd.conf, .lircrc etc.

My problem is that the remote doesn't work on startup. Looked in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and it says, as expected:

REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"

Which doesn't work because I have no /dev/lirc0 (I do have a /dev/lircd). However, running /proc/bus/input/devices, I discover that my IR receiver is event5, so if I change the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf to:

REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/event5"

And restart lirc, it works fine. Unfortunately, upon restarting the PC, the IR receiver doesn't always have the same path - eg it could be event6 or event8 etc - so then I need to fix the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf again.

This looks like it's cropped up here before, but I couldn't find an actual resolution. Any ideas?

MTIA!

otoh
June 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Solved this - I apologise to the original author of the solution for mislaying where I found it :( But essentially it was:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices to discover the name of the device; mine was called something like 'IR-receiver inside USB tuner'
cd /etc/udev/rules.d
Create a new file - anyname.rules, eg I made win-tv.rules - content:
KERNEL=="event[0-9]", ATTRS{name}=="IR-receiver*", SYMLINK+="lirc0"

Restart and voila, /dev/lirc0 is there, /etc/lirc/hardware.conf works as expected!

Hope this helps someone!

sisco311
June 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM
You don't have to create a new the symbolic link(/dev/lirc0), there should be already one in /dev/input/by-path/ ;)

To mark this thread as [SOLVED] Click the "Thread Tools" Menu at the top of the page and then "Mark this thread as Solved".

otoh
June 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
You don't have to create a new the symbolic link(/dev/lirc0), there should be already one in /dev/input/by-path/ ;)

Ooh, I see it now, I guess it's pci-0000:00:1d.7-event-ir - I guess I could have used this in my hardware.conf. Never came across that in much searching on the problem! Assuming it stays the same on reboot, will remember for next time!

To mark this thread as [SOLVED] Click the "Thread Tools" Menu at the top of the page and then "Mark this thread as Solved".

I'm sure that wasn't there before... Huge thanks either way :)