PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to repair mpg files?

csmith6594
May 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I have a few files that are mpg format, but do not play. What happens is the video will stop for a given period of time, and then start up again, but later in the video. I tried DivFix++, but this only fixes AVI files. I also tried using VLC to see if it would start up the auto fix box, and repair it, but that does not do anything as well. I have looked for solutions on the Internet, but there is no help out there as well. So I am at a dead end. If I can get some help on it I would be thankful.:guitar:

Ringi
May 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Did you try to play it from Terminal:

totem

csmith6594
May 30th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Yup. still the same problem. If there is no fix to this, then I may have to get another laptop (which I planned to do anyway), and see if I can find some program in Windows to fix it because right now I am out of ideas. I would re-download the files, but they are BIG. Unless I become a linux genius during the summer and write a program for things like this. Ugh. The stress.

csmith6594
May 30th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Yup. still the same problem. If there is no fix to this, then I may have to get another laptop (which I planned to do anyway), and see if I can find some program in Windows to fix it because right now I am out of ideas. I would re-download the files, but they are BIG. Unless I become a linux genius during the summer and write a program for things like this. Ugh. The stress.

csmith6594
May 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry for the double post.

Ringi
May 30th, 2010, 10:48 PM
What happens is the video will stop for a given period of time, and then start up again
Were there any error message in Terminal?

LuridCinema
May 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Might work.....

ffmpeg -i INPUT.mpg -sameq OUTPUT.mpg

csmith6594
May 31st, 2010, 06:36 PM
There were no error messages in the terminal. I will surrender in saying that I am just going to find something in Windows to handle the problem. Windows is like smoking, you truly never quit.

no2498
May 31st, 2010, 09:16 PM
windows does not like mpeg files lol

http://mein-neues-blog.de/tragtor-gui-for-ffmpeg/

that can make them avi/mov files

hope this helps

TBerk
May 31st, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have been have similar troubles (although my current solution in training involves .AVI files...).

I have found running the files through something like AVIDEMUX (and saving as a new file name) has corrected the problems.

As I mentioned, it is a solution but still in development, so I'm not yet ready to proclaim "WIN!" but so far, so good.

As with any conversion or other process there is a some concern with loosing data (lossless vs lossy, etc). What I've seen doesn't reduce the file size by any appreciable amount.

berk

csmith6594
May 31st, 2010, 10:05 PM
I appreciate the replies. I will think of something. It is not super important that I take care of these files. As if it isn't noticeable, I am so new to using linux that I spent a few hundred dollars on various books to understand this thing. Compile this, command line that. sigh