PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Smooth full-screen Flash in 10.04 on Dell Studio XPS 1640?

potiphera
May 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have a Dell Studio XPS 1640 running 10.04, with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics card. Has anyone gotten full-screen Flash video to run smoothly in Firefox with this setup?

lovinglinux
May 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM
See the Flash Optimization (http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/05/flash-optimization.html) section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

I don't have a similar setup, but that might help. What version of flash do you have?

potiphera
May 30th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks a lot for the link! It hadn't occurred to me to check a thread on Firefox. I don't even remember which version of Flash I was using, but I followed the instructions there, so I'm using flashplugin-nonfree at the moment. I also tried the other suggestions that were applicable, but nothing works so far. I'm not planning on trying the replacement stuff though, as I'm satisfied with Flash performance other than full-screen. I haven't been following the progress of Flash performance on Linux, so I don't even know, is jerky full-screen Flash still typical?

potiphera
June 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM
(bump)

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks a lot for the link! It hadn't occurred to me to check a thread on Firefox. I don't even remember which version of Flash I was using, but I followed the instructions there, so I'm using flashplugin-nonfree at the moment. I also tried the other suggestions that were applicable, but nothing works so far. I'm not planning on trying the replacement stuff though, as I'm satisfied with Flash performance other than full-screen. I haven't been following the progress of Flash performance on Linux, so I don't even know, is jerky full-screen Flash still typical?

Depends on your hardware, but flash isn't good in general. Problems are more common with 720p and 1080p videos tho.

ActionParsnip
May 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
If you installed 64bit OS, use 64bit flash
:guitar: