PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot get online

sdeannas
May 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
i had ubuntu 9.10 and updated to 10.04. i also removed WIN while in process of upgrading, anyhow, now pc will not allow me to get online. i did not unplug anything when i upgraded pc, not until after i realized i could no longer get online did i change the ethernet cable, and remove the router (both of which failed).

i have looked to see if i needed to install something extra to be able to get back online, but so far i haven't found a site stating that i need another package to get online.

ibuclaw
May 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I take it you are connected via an ethernet cable, what type of Internet service do you have?

Dial-up? DSL? Broadband?

If you were to right-click on the network applet, and select "Connection Information", what does it report?

Regards
Iain

sdeannas
May 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I have DSL. and excuse my ignorance but I don't see 'Connection Information' in my Network folder.

ibuclaw
May 28th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have DSL. and excuse my ignorance but I don't see 'Connection Information' in my Network folder.

Not folder, the applet in the top panel.

See the help guide for NetworkManager (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7#Right-click Options)

Regards

sdeannas
May 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
my pc doesn't have that on it.

Linux_junkie
May 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
This might sound like a stupid question, but have you setup your ethernet network card in Network Manager (on the taskbar along the top of the screen)?

sdeannas
May 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Linux_junkie the answer to your question is no... i didn't know i needed to do that... i didn't have to do it in 9.10.