PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Quick Installation question - Vista and Kubuntu

SuperR00t
May 27th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hi All,
I'm new here and a noob so hopefully my question doesn't sound too silly #-o

I'm trying to Dual boot Vista and Kubuntu. I made a bootable flash drive from unetbootin of Kubuntu 10.04.
I'm at the part of installation referring to prepare disk space. I'm not sure if I should proceed. It's giving me the option to:

:arrow:"Install them side by side, choosing between them each startup" which sounds the best,

"Erase and use the entire disk", which I don't want to do,
and
"Specify partitions manually", which I don't need to do, I think.

However, the installer doesn't make any reference to
"Windows Vista Loader"
which is what I'm used to seeing. Is that what the "them" is referring to?

Can I safely proceed with installation to dual-boot?

Again, I have not made any changes in Vista, partitioning or otherwise. Do I need to take some preliminary steps to vista? I heard that vista complicates things where you need to do stuff ahead of time.

Thanks in Advance! :)

andrewthomas
May 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hi All,
I'm new here and a noob so hopefully my question doesn't sound too silly #-o

I'm trying to Dual boot Vista and Kubuntu. I made a bootable flash drive from unetbootin of Kubuntu 10.04.
I'm at the part of installation referring to prepare disk space. I'm not sure if I should proceed. It's giving me the option to:

:arrow:"Install them side by side, choosing between them each startup" which sounds the best,

"Erase and use the entire disk", which I don't want to do,
and
"Specify partitions manually", which I don't need to do, I think.

However, the installer doesn't make any reference to
"Windows Vista Loader"
which is what I'm used to seeing. Is that what the "them" is referring to?

Can I safely proceed with installation to dual-boot?

Again, I have not made any changes in Vista, partitioning or otherwise. Do I need to take some preliminary steps to vista? I heard that vista complicates things where you need to do stuff ahead of time.

Thanks in Advance! :)It is best to shrink the vista partition from within windows. Here is a link to help you out.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

Then just choose the option to install side-by-side and you should be all good.

SuperR00t
May 28th, 2010, 03:12 AM
It is best to shrink the vista partition from within windows. Here is a link to help you out.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

Then just choose the option to install side-by-side and you should be all good.

Thanks for your help! =D> I'll do that.